USB contented!

Tell us about your experience, ask if you're unsure of something, let us know if you have a problem.
Angela

USB contented!

Post by Angela »

Avid readers might remember my confusion over the USB connected symbol added to the display screen via firmware update, not too long ago.

It still bothers me as it really is totally useless. I can see the USB in the port if need to check.

But what would be useful, and would also confirm the USB connection, is for the last log number, (or part of it), to be displayed.
The reasons for this suggestion are from my recent experiences. I've gotten lazy over logging stuff and just do a roast and make a label. If it's a good roast I keep the label as a reference.
On the label I write the roast number but usually forget where we are on the slow rise to 4680. Which means I then have to either interrogate the USB or hunt back through roast tins or packets. Having, say, the last two digits of the sequence would be a great help. I know I'm in the 300 roasts somewhere exactly where escapes me.

(Why 4680 roasts? Three roasts a week 52 weeks a year and my target of 30 years life - either the roaster or me)
BenN

Re: USB contented!

Post by BenN »

I go to last roast info to find last roast number if my PC is not handy but brief display of it wen USB stick is inserted may be handy as well..

But I generally OK with trip to that menu item.
Ben
Damian

Post by Damian »

I like that idea Angela, displaying the roast log number during the roast
BenN

Post by BenN »

Damian wrote: Fri 29 May, 2020 4:12 pm I like that idea Angela, displaying the roast log number during the roast
Aha that' much better!
Ben
kaffelogic
Site Admin

Post by kaffelogic »

I have this in the list of future enhancements, however it didn't make the current release candidate due to the number of higher priority issues.

As it is now near the top of the list it would be good to get agreement about how best to implement it. Here is my current thinking:
  1. Leave the USB symbol that appears next to the profile name display unchanged. The reason for this being that there is only one character space here (the profile name is 15 characters max, and the screen is 16 characters wide). With a 5x8 pixel character display we are limited in how much information we can fit into one character.
  2. In the menu list, add "this roast info" choice between "live data" and "last roast info". This roast info will provide a display of log file number, plus expected time, temperature, and DTR. The expected time and temperature will be calculated from the currently set level, and the expected DTR will be calculated from the expected first crack setting in the profile. If you look at it before you start a roast it will show the information for the roast about to start, if you look at it during a roast it will show you information for the roast in progress.
We currently don't have a date for release of this feature, but it is in the pipeline. Your comments and feedback will be used to help us finalise the details.
kaffelogic
Site Admin

Post by kaffelogic »

Angela wrote: Thu 28 May, 2020 10:50 pm (Why 4680 roasts? Three roasts a week 52 weeks a year and my target of 30 years life - either the roaster or me)
We sincerely hope 30 years for you both!
BenN

Post by BenN »

kaffelogic wrote: Sun 31 May, 2020 8:08 am I have this in the list of future enhancements, however it didn't make the current release candidate due to the number of higher priority issues.

As it is now near the top of the list it would be good to get agreement about how best to implement it. Here is my current thinking:
  1. Leave the USB symbol that appears next to the profile name display unchanged. The reason for this being that there is only one character space here (the profile name is 15 characters max, and the screen is 16 characters wide). With a 5x8 pixel character display we are limited in how much information we can fit into one character.
  2. In the menu list, add "this roast info" choice between "live data" and "last roast info". This roast info will provide a display of log file number, plus expected time, temperature, and DTR. The expected time and temperature will be calculated from the currently set level, and the expected DTR will be calculated from the expected first crack setting in the profile. If you look at it before you start a roast it will show the information for the roast about to start, if you look at it during a roast it will show you information for the roast in progress.
We currently don't have a date for release of this feature, but it is in the pipeline. Your comments and feedback will be used to help us finalise the details.
I like the idea of it .
Can it be toggle "normal - this roast info - live data" by the profile button while roasting is going? so with out trip to menu and select? I'm in between last roast info to be in the toggle cycle ans it not quite for current info.
Ben
Angela

Post by Angela »

May I suggest 15 characters for a profile name is overly generous. The name only needs to differentiate itself from other profiles. And a user will have selected the profile from the profile menu before the roast, most likely, so will know what profile is in use.

The 16 Character display could take say 12 from the profile name followed by # (or space if you prefer) then add three digits for the roast-log number. Problem solved.

'Firestarter ' signals 'Firestarter ' in 12 characters. and 'Firestar/od3' signals 'Firestarter_mod3'
Allow as many characters you like in Studio software but curtail it on the display.

For me, I really don't want to be hunting through a menu. Whilst the roast is in progress I'm writing the label and a quick glance at the machine to confirm the number would suit me admirably. Other's mileage may vary.
lancruiser

Post by lancruiser »

Angela wrote: Mon 01 Jun, 2020 3:13 am May I suggest 15 characters for a profile name is overly generous.
I, on the other hand, find 15 characters too few for the profile name. I like descriptive names for my profiles. As such, I would argue for more characters. Just my 2 cents worth.
Angela

Post by Angela »

lancruiser wrote: Mon 01 Jun, 2020 6:57 pm
Angela wrote: Mon 01 Jun, 2020 3:13 am May I suggest 15 characters for a profile name is overly generous.
I, on the other hand, find 15 characters too few for the profile name. I like descriptive names for my profiles. As such, I would argue for more characters. Just my 2 cents worth.
Well, of course Chris could satisfy both of us if he is up to the programming challenge and there is enough space in memory.
The software could cause the display characters to advance position sideways slowly. That way there would be no limit.

But remember no one is suggesting your profile name can't be 15 characters. When you select the profile that's what you would see. Only whilst roasting would the profile be truncated. Are you saying that is unbearable for you?