Q: what do I do with these?

Tell us about your experience, ask if you're unsure of something, let us know if you have a problem.
Angela

Re: Q: what do I do with these?

Post by Angela »

Beanz wrote: Fri 26 Jun, 2020 9:44 pm Geez, Angela, now you're querying bean density.
hi Beanz,

Yeah I know. aren't I a pain? In my defence I'm still meant to be in lockdown and idle hands .. well you know.
Angela

Post by Angela »

It seems Wayne is using an idiosyncratic system for labelling his profiles. RTD ~ Ready To Drink and GTTT Good Things Take Time. Elsewhere on the forum we've been talking about shortening roast names to get other things on the display. May I humbly suggest GTTT is relabelled LBW in the interests of saving a character?

LBW ~ Long Bloomin' Wait. (Antipodean friends may wish to change the Bloomin' to B****y to more fit their vernacular :) )
Angela

Post by Angela »

Wayne wrote: Mon 15 Jun, 2020 9:14 am .

1200-1500 GTTT Profile
The 1200-1500RTD profile
1500-2000GTTT
and 1500-2000RTD .

These are from the Beta testing profiles Kaffelogic is doing to make it easier for all Kaffelogic users to pick a coffee , choose a roasting profile according to the origin and roast . I would suggest 100g size roasts .

Hope this helps .
Wayne, I don't know what Kaffelogic pay you but tell Chris Angela says to double your salary!!

I have just tried a 2000-2700RTD on some dodgy unlabelled Ethiopian greens that have been disappointing me weekly. And wow! I roasted to 2.3 for a flavourful espresso in the cup straight after roasting. I had aroma and taste that I haven't had since the start of lock down in March. I was buying Yirgs from an Ethiopian in the UK who seems to have stopped trading for a while. All my replacements were giving me nothing; I had so much failure that i began to doubt their origin. Today it worked. One good result doesn't a fortune make but your approach to matching profile to altitude is a winner I'm sure. Thank you.

And to Gerronimo, that Round Tuit of your grandmother seems to have finally given me my mojo too. Or was it that cup of decent coffee at last?
nrdlnd

Post by nrdlnd »

Hi,
My first post. I'm a complete newbie and I've made less than 10 roasts with the KL. Of course i'm very interested trying the "Altitude profiles". Where can I for example find the "2000-2700RTD"? :?:
Angela

Post by Angela »

nrdlnd wrote: Sun 28 Jun, 2020 8:33 am Hi,
My first post. I'm a complete newbie and I've made less than 10 roasts with the KL. Of course i'm very interested trying the "Altitude profiles". Where can I for example find the "2000-2700RTD"? :?:
Hi,
Some have been meeting in the virtual cafe and only the logs of a roast with those two profiles are public AFAIK. If you download the two logs you are interested in and load one at a time into Kaffeligic Studio you are able to extract the profile. There is a menu item under File to do it. The beta testing logs are under a discussion topic here https://kaffelogic.com/community/viewforum.php?f=10
Angela

Post by Angela »

Put a hold on Wayne's pay rise. The jury is still out. Coming back to those Yirgs this morning, after yesterday's roast, all the flavour and aroma I once had, had gone.

So all in all I suggest Ready To Drink RTD itself is renamed. I thought 'Here Today Gone Tomorrow' but in the interests of brevity I feel DBQ is best ~ Drink Bloomin' Quickly. :)
nrdlnd

Post by nrdlnd »

@Angela: "If you download the two logs you are interested in and load one at a time into Kaffelogic Studio you are able to extract the profile. There is a menu item under File to do it."

Thank You for that tip. As always a lot to learn. I have some Ethiopian and also a Yemen Mocha Matari that I didn't know how to roast. If the RTD looses it's flavor that fast couldn't it be an idea to put it in the freezer? I do mainly use these coffees in blends to make a Mocha-Java. I usually only use about 25% of the Mocha-Matari in a blend as it could be overpowering otherwise.
GaryM

Post by GaryM »

1500-2000GTTT profile test roasts today. Columbia Popayan. I'm getting a few light coloured beans in the roasts. I haven't had that with other profiles. What does it indicate?
lancruiser

Post by lancruiser »

GaryM wrote: Mon 29 Jun, 2020 12:56 pm 1500-2000GTTT profile test roasts today. Columbia Popayan. I'm getting a few light coloured beans in the roasts. I haven't had that with other profiles. What does it indicate?
They could be quakers. Quakers are unripened beans. Pick them out. They tend to have a grassy and unappealing taste.

What I do sometimes is that I will chew on a quaker for taste so as to check if they are quakers. If still not sure, chew on a darker bean for comparison.
Beanz

Post by Beanz »

This morning I had a strange experience. Day 3 on Wayne's 1200-1500 RTD profile at RL 4.2 with a local supplier's Riviera Blend [God knows what's in it]. Reasonably light tamp [circa 10kg] on 18gm , 30s draw, 40.7gm. Good an earthy sweet but definite strong CINNAMON spice flavour, which has lingered long after...

My point being that we can judge a roast by the taste, using our usual brew methods, but, maybe some profiles work better with a different recipes and rest times? Day 1 I thought this blend/profile was Meh. Day 2 Fresh, fruity but a definite green berry aftertaste, though interesting flavour. Thought (& still do) the profile could do with RL 4.4 for my taste, with this blend anyways, and suspected it might improve with further aging. It did!!

Normally I'm experiencing better flavours circa Day 8 - 9 post roast with the other profiles. Got short of beans and tried this one and, it has been interesting. Am now applying vacuum to see if I can hold the flavour there another day or two!