Start of profile - Issue or not?

Tell us about your experience, ask if you're unsure of something, let us know if you have a problem.
nrdlnd

Re: Start of profile - Issue or not?

Post by nrdlnd »

Very difficult to see. Are there some tipping on the Colombias? I can't see anything on the others. Colombia and Brazil is very near each other and some beans grow on almost the same altitude and I think they also grow the same varietes?
Geronimo

Post by Geronimo »

nrdlnd wrote: Fri 07 Aug, 2020 11:45 pm Very difficult to see. Are there some tipping on the Colombias? I can't see anything on the others. Colombia and Brazil is very near each other and some beans grow on almost the same altitude and I think they also grow the same varietes?
Hi again

Yes tipping (but not as bad) on both the Guatemalan and Columbian. Wayne has asked me to up the fan calibration to 0.96 (Was 0.92)

The Yirg is a bit of a mess, and a roaster said it didn’t look very even, and questioned if I had adequate bean circulation, which was interesting.

Due to me going away I won’t be roasting for a few weeks and have to rely on cafes for my fix, therefore won’t be able to test the increased fan speed calibration.

I did try before the calibration tweak, a higher fan profile (15700rpm start) I imported from the D-Roast profile, with tapered end of roast speed to get under power supply constraints, but still got tipping on the Brazilians, so will be interesting to see what overall effect the calibration has. Wayne seems confident about it. Ive got my fingers crossed.
lancruiser

Post by lancruiser »

Geronimo wrote: Sat 08 Aug, 2020 9:36 am The Yirg is a bit of a mess, and a roaster said it didn’t look very even, and questioned if I had adequate bean circulation, which was interesting.
Is the Yirgacheffe washed or natural processed? Natural processed coffee can look splotchy.

This is a recent roast of Ethiopian Harrar.
20200808_145655.jpg
20200808_145655.jpg (4.87 MiB) Viewed 6031 times
Last edited by lancruiser on Sat 08 Aug, 2020 5:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Geronimo

Post by Geronimo »

lancruiser wrote: Sat 08 Aug, 2020 4:51 pm
Geronimo wrote: Sat 08 Aug, 2020 9:36 am The Yirg is a bit of a mess, and a roaster said it didn’t look very even, and questioned if I had adequate bean circulation, which was interesting.
Is the Yirgacheffe washed or natural processed? Natural processed coffee can look splotchy.
Hi

They are washed, Altitude: 1,700 – 2,200 meters above sea level.

Cheers
Beanz

Post by Beanz »

@lancruiser. Just wondering whether you inspect and reject some beans post roast? In your picture, above, I notice a couple of f'uglies (around 5 past 12 top mid pic) and a blondie about third way up.

I've been working to find a KJM blend with beans available in NZ (on a post started by fnq). I noticed, with each of four bean varieties, post roast, a similar result to yours pictured. On average, out of around 90gm roast in, 1.5 to 2 gms out I'm rejecting on those grounds.

In my very limited experience, it strikes me that there ought to be a better effort on bean resellers for both grading and altitude information. On that front, I note at least 3 different grading systems. There's Screening size, Grades 1 - ?5 and Grade A to ?E. Strangely, I noticed that the blondies were under roasted and yet bore no correlation to size of bean. ie some of the blondest might be the smallest ? densest in the batch.

Given I hadn't been picking them out before, I'm wondering what impact they may have had on taste experience in previous batches
lancruiser

Post by lancruiser »

Beanz wrote: Sat 08 Aug, 2020 9:32 pm @lancruiser. Just wondering whether you inspect and reject some beans post roast? In your picture, above, I notice a couple of f'uglies (around 5 past 12 top mid pic) and a blondie about third way up.
Not these ones. They may look like quakers in the photo but they are viable beans. I sample them by chewing on them from time to time to make sure. Natural processed beans tend to have a bit of colour range.

Harrar looks ugly but they have amazing flavours: notably blueberries!
nrdlnd

Post by nrdlnd »

Geronimo wrote: Sat 08 Aug, 2020 9:36 am
Yes tipping (but not as bad) on both the Guatemalan and Columbian. Wayne has asked me to up the fan calibration to 0.96 (Was 0.92)
-----------
I did try before the calibration tweak, a higher fan profile (15700rpm start) I imported from the D-Roast profile, with tapered end of roast speed to get under power supply constraints, but still got tipping on the Brazilians, so will be interesting to see what overall effect the calibration has. Wayne seems confident about it.
Yes it will be interesting to hear how it goes! In my calibration I have something that says 0.97. I guess it's that figure. I've tried to read on the net about the tipping defect. Most of the time they say that there is too much energy in the beginning of the roast that creates the defect but some says it's a defect that comes during the second crack! How long was your DTR or development time? Did you go into second crack?
Geronimo

Post by Geronimo »

nrdlnd wrote: Sun 09 Aug, 2020 11:06 am
Geronimo wrote: Sat 08 Aug, 2020 9:36 am How long was your DTR or development time? Did you go into second crack?
Hi

I’ve only just started with the new profiles. I did try one of the beta versions of altitude profiles but designated as GTTT, but was a disaster as the beans didn’t move at all and made a mess of the roasting chamber which is somewhat blackened.

I’m touching on second crack, so getting up around 28 to 32ish for the DTR, but typically with previous profiles I’ve experimented with have been in the order of 22 to 25%. Still had tipping, and did not have any fan tweaks.

I think for now it is a waiting game till I’m in a position to roast again in a few weeks. I’m hoping with recalibratIon it will be better, and taste will be cleaner.

Cheers
sareea

Post by sareea »

Hi,
I have been facing same issues. Beans weren't moving in a good way, and I had tipping in all the roasts.
I have same voltage as you 230.
I guess, change in the voltage changes everything, and calibration is key. ( Maybe the lower voltage causes the fan to run slower for the same amount of heat power, thus too much heat to beans for the same time).

I just changed my fan calibration and beans are moving a lot better. (now it is 1.01 and I think this is great).

After changing calibration the roaster follows profiles better. ( For example,at 0.88 the temp' was always above the profile, now it follows a lot better, although I still see this with robusta but I guess this is due to the zone boosts the core profiles have).

Still didn't get to check the tipping much.
Attachments
Bean movement.rar
1.00 fan caliberation
(10.04 MiB) Downloaded 350 times
Geronimo

Post by Geronimo »

sareea wrote: Fri 14 Aug, 2020 2:58 am After changing calibration the roaster follows profiles better. ( For example,at 0.88 the temp' was always above the profile, now it follows a lot better, although I still see this with robusta but I guess this is due to the zone boosts the core profiles have).

Still didn't get to check the tipping much.
Hi

Many thanks for your comment. And feedback on a roast after calibration. Be great if you could check for tipping next time.

Cheers