1200m Rest L2.4 vs K-Logic L2.4

Tell us about your experience, ask if you're unsure of something, let us know if you have a problem.
nrdlnd

Re: 1200m Rest L2.4 vs K-Logic L2.4

Post by nrdlnd »

Steve wrote: Sat 03 Oct, 2020 6:51 pm
nrdlnd wrote: Sat 03 Oct, 2020 10:25 am
Steve wrote: Fri 02 Oct, 2020 1:31 pm Here some measured observations of the 2 profiles in question.
----
Rest1200 takes far too long to reach appropriate ET, under developing the roast from the very start, this likely causes the outer layers of seed to over dry and the insides never get done. Eventually the temp picks up, it stalls out around 240 - 242 after first crack never really gets going, I counted 6 individual cracks from 9:30 (233ET) until near drop around 11:00 (241ET). Because of the over drying from the slow start the beans are far more susceptible to damage when the temp finally gets hot enough, coupled with being stuck at very low agitation in the latter parts of the roast for a much longer amount of time compared to the Classic = charred and still under done in the centre.
I'm sorry but I can't see any stalls on the 0-1200 Rest. Please advice me how to see it!
Roasted any other way this coffee cracks quite well for a Brazil PN. First crack languished for about 2:30 and nothing good ever comes from this even if one was to disregard all temp readings.

Compare the overall shape of the two ET curves.
Classic holds a very even nearly straight line angled upwards all the way through. This is what I expect to see on a 100g air roaster which has zero mass to fall back on if the bean mass drops in temp.
The rest1200 is more of a gentle downwards curve.

If you are enjoying the coffee produced then thats great / dont worry about it.
Yes I try to enjoy the coffee. As I wrote above I tried three roast with a Brazil coffee from the Cerrado region (Catuai, Mondo Novo). One with 0-1200 Rest at L=3, one with a modified fan profile from Steady&Dark at L=3 and one with the Classic profile at L=3.3. The Classic was the darkest roast and the modified profile the lightest. None had any roasting defects.

Now comes the interesting how they taste as espresso: The best tasting roast early after roasting (after 1½ day) was the roast with the modified fan profile but this was only early after the roast then it declined. The 0-1200 Rest was at its best after 2½ day and it was rather nice then. The Classic was OK all the time but at its best when I tasted it after 4½ day.

If I should recommend anyone a profile for this special bean for espresso I would recommend the Classic profile at about default level that gave the best result for me.
Angela

Re: 1200m Rest L2.4 vs K-Logic L2.4

Post by Angela »

nrdlnd wrote: Wed 07 Oct, 2020 7:04 am .... If I should recommend anyone a profile for this special bean for espresso I would recommend the Classic profile at about default level that gave the best result for me.
I agree; those are my findings too. It a close thing between either 0-12 RTD or Rest but the Classic edges it. I keep coming back to this bean.