Just starting!

Tell us about your experience, ask if you're unsure of something, let us know if you have a problem.
leydonm

Just starting!

Post by leydonm »

Hi Everyone,
Received the coffee roaster last week. So far I have made two roasts and the machine has been great!! First up I tried the J blend and roasted it on L5- certainly resulted in a strong brew!! My preference is flat whites (I know what some of you may be thinking but....) so with the added milk it wouldn't have been as bitter. A few nights ago I roasted the K blend and this time I used L3.5- a good decision. Currently drinking a coffee now.
Firstly I plan to roast the 4 samples that were enclosed then I need to make a decision of where to purchase the green beans. It appears that a lot of the places you can only purchase 1 kg. It would be nice to be able to purchase smaller quantities while I am experimenting. However, this is a lot of fun and look forward to hearing from others of your progress.

Cheers Mark
leydonm

Re: Just starting!

Post by leydonm »

Tried the PNG sigri estate yesterday- roasted on L3. Had a mate over and made a coffee straight (no resting!) away. Very nice. Will try this coffee again. Cheers
Sceptic

Post by Sceptic »

You should be able to get them in 400g lots from RNG Coffee or Green Been House; RNG does sampler bags at 200g too.
leydonm

Post by leydonm »

Yesterday I visited Laroma (coffee roasters) in Hamilton and they will sell me green beans which is great.
They have about 10 different beans from around the world so it will be fun and a lengthy process to work out what I like and what combination of beans go well together. Should save a lot of postage which is a bonus. Purchased PNG from the Coffee workshop just over a week ago and they were super quick at sending this out to me.

Happy drinking, cheers Mark
kaffelogic
Site Admin

Post by kaffelogic »

Thanks for this update Mark. Please let us know how you find the different origins. I suggest you concentrate on single origin roasting until you have worked out what you like about each origin, perhaps keep tasting notes about each one. Then when you get to blending it will be less of a hit and miss affair.
robroast

Post by robroast »

Hi guys
John here from The Coffee Workshop.
I'm listening to some of your feedback and as a consequence will start to make smaller pack sizes of green beans available online. Let me know if there are any other requests regarding origins, sizes etc.
And watch out for some new origins coming your way.
Dont forget to use your special discount code until which applies until end of March. In case you dont have this it is : kaffelogic83 Just enter this at the checkout when you complete your online order.

Cheers and happy roasting!
Beanz

Post by Beanz »

As a new member here I would just like to comment that it would be useful for members to edit their profile to inform their country and region, if not city, to add context for resources.

There are so many great contributors on this site, particular beans are mentioned in relation to roasting profiles, and when I go to search, I find that they don't appear to be available in NZ, as in my case. Others are more universal.

Although we all have unique tastes, and no doubt those change over time, as nuances in flavour are sought, having a full bean name, Profile and roast level and taste all posted would be really helpful as well.