Help for Light Roasts for Espresso

Tell us about your experience, ask if you're unsure of something, let us know if you have a problem.
Geronimo

Help for Light Roasts for Espresso

Post by Geronimo »

Hi

Has anyone had good results roasting lighter for espresso.

Haven’t had much luck when roasting lighter. Ethiopia Yirgacheffe has been a disaster and describe the flavour notes as yucky.

The colour with roast level 2.0 for the Yirg, was similar looking to a Brazilian at roast level 3.1 and tried an extreme of 1.0 which was quite uneven, and probably a silly roast level for espresso, but thought I’d give it a go.

Roasted some Kenyan AB on 2.0 and was awful also.

The lower altitude beans seem a bit easier to roast at default settings, and guess a little more forgiving maybe?

Thought it might be time to ask for some tips and advice, or things to try.
kaffelogic
Site Admin

Re: Help for Light Roasts for Espresso

Post by kaffelogic »

I suggest you try Ninja for fruitier, Firestarter for more developed flavour. Try both profiles at their recommended level (as they load into the roaster). Both give DTR of around 20% at their recommended level.
Geronimo

Post by Geronimo »

Excellent, that is what I would like to get out of the beans. Some floral, fruity notes.

Thanks.
Angela

Post by Angela »

I've had a short conversation with an online greens seller and his advice was that the higher the bean density then steeper needs to be the profile curve in the initial phase. And vice versa.

Hadn't seen that explained anywhere here.
Geronimo

Post by Geronimo »

Great information. Thanks for sharing.
binarymist

Post by binarymist »

Angela wrote: Wed 17 Jul, 2019 3:50 am I've had a short conversation with an online greens seller and his advice was that the higher the bean density then steeper needs to be the profile curve in the initial phase. And vice versa.

I'm not sure if that's true @Angela, I would have thought the oppisit to be true, but I'm not entirely sure. From what I'm reading, the higher the altitude that the bean is grown at the gentler the heat increase needs to be... at least this appears to be true with Ethiopian beans in general (https://perfectdailygrind.com/2019/11/e ... ers-guide/).
binarymist

Post by binarymist »

kaffelogic wrote: Fri 12 Jul, 2019 9:06 pm I suggest you try Ninja for fruitier, Firestarter for more developed flavour. Try both profiles at their recommended level (as they load into the roaster). Both give DTR of around 20% at their recommended level.
We've tried Ninja at 2.6 (default) on Ethiopia Sidama Bule Hora for espresso and the extraction is watery (weak crema), no floral taste notes to mention. Both 2000-2700 RTD v1.0 and 1500-2000 RTD v1.0 at 1.5 deliver good floral notes, but they do seem a little under developed (slightly sour). I know there is something magic in these beans at a light roast around 1.4 - 1.5, we're just struggling to find the right profile.
Geronimo

Post by Geronimo »

binarymist wrote: Sat 28 Nov, 2020 2:37 pm
Angela wrote: Wed 17 Jul, 2019 3:50 am I've had a short conversation with an online greens seller and his advice was that the higher the bean density then steeper needs to be the profile curve in the initial phase. And vice versa.

I'm not sure if that's true @Angela, I would have thought the oppisit to be true, but I'm not entirely sure. From what I'm reading, the higher the altitude that the bean is grown at the gentler the heat increase needs to be... at least this appears to be true with Ethiopian beans in general (https://perfectdailygrind.com/2019/11/e ... ers-guide/).
The link you provided is a very interesting read on Ethiopian beans.

Cheers
binarymist

Post by binarymist »

Ok so these (https://github.com/binarymist/coffee/bl ... uleHora.md) are the profiles and notes we've experimented with with the Ethiopian Sidama Bule Hora.

As you can see the floral notes that Ethiopian beans are known for are present, but underdeveloped with all the following profiles:
  • K-logic classic
  • 2000-2700 RTD v1.0
  • 1500-2000 RTD v1.0
  • ninja
  • ninja 2
  • ninjaturtle
  • Firestarter
  • Light
Any tips @kaffelogic?
fnq

Post by fnq »

You could try Steve's Power profile at somewhere under 2.0 ( see what his roast level was) ... he was using a bean that had floral attributes.