Filter-Origin Profile

Start a new topic for a new roast profile. Reply to an existing topic to enter your comments on the profile, or to attach minor variants.
Kaelin

Re: Filter-Origin Profile

Post by Kaelin »

Sorry for the delay in reply and glad you have had some success with the profile. I haven't been roasting much in the last 5 months as my work has taken me away from home during the week. I've got some time and am going to try and pickup some more greens to keep playing. Cheers
kidleethal wrote: Sat 13 Mar, 2021 10:56 am Thanks for the great profile.

I used it to roast some Ethiopian Yirgacheffe Biloya a few days ago and have been brewing it with a cloth pourover filter.

Great fruity flavours, sweetness and juiciness in the cup!
nrdlnd

Post by nrdlnd »

Hi,
Just roasted a 110g batch Colombian beans with this profile. I havent tasted it yet but will tomorrow as V60. With my settings where the ROR curve is more exaggerated I'm a little concerned what's happening around first crack. I marked 1C when there were consecutive cracks but it may have started a little earlier. Any idea what to do to get the ROR more smoothly declining and avoid the ups and downs around first crack? Could a negative boost between 7:00 and 8:30 make the ROR decline smoother? My roast degree became 1.6 and the color is light/medium light. Seems to be evenly roasted without apparent defects. End temp 216.8 and DTR 20%.
210802_Colombia_LosVascos_FilterOrigin_1.6.png
210802_Colombia_LosVascos_FilterOrigin_1.6.png (73.28 KiB) Viewed 6194 times
nrdlnd

Post by nrdlnd »

Hi,
The washed Colombia that I tried with the original profile tasted good as V60.
I've worked a little with the profile with zones. I did it with a cheap bean that I have a lot of. I buyed to have to experiment with. I've used three zones. I boosted near first crack because of a longer dip when the beans gave up a lot of moisture. A negativ boost after first crack when the beans got exotermic. Also a shorter negative boost during Maillard to try to even ROR.
Then at last I made a 100g roast with a better quality bean from Burundi. Grown at 1800 m and fully washed. Roast degree L=1.3. Light/Medium Light. End weight 85.2 g and end temp 215.7. DTR around 21%. The roasted beans looks nice.
210804_Burundi_washed_Mod7FiltOrg_1.3.png
210804_Burundi_washed_Mod7FiltOrg_1.3.png (73.4 KiB) Viewed 6171 times
Kaelin

Post by Kaelin »

Hi nrdlnd,

Sorry for the delay. Again my work has taken me away from home and I haven't been roasting as much as I'd like! Nice to see you have enjoyed the profile and have been tweaking it. Feel free to post your modified profile in here and hopefully I'll be able to give it a try in a few weeks when my current contract ends. I'm also keen to give the Raost profiles a go.
Thanks,
Kaelin
nrdlnd

Post by nrdlnd »

Hi again,
Today 12 hours after the roasting I did taste the Burundi bean as V60 and in my opinion it was very good. Very balanced and tasty. I don't know if a roast with this bean had been better or worse with the original Filter-Origin profile. This is the first time I've been working with zones and there is a description how I did it in the "About". I roasted 7 different batches with different changes before I got this. You are open to try it and tell me what you think!
ModFiltOrig.kpro
(3.43 KiB) Downloaded 982 times
nrdlnd

Post by nrdlnd »

Hi again,
I've been working more with the profile as I think it's very good. I kept the three zones but I tried to have a higher fan speed during the second half of the roast as I thought that it could level the ROR curve. I also made a roast with the original FilterOrigin profile and the Burundi bean. It looked like this:
210807_Burundi_washed_FilterOrigin_1.3.png
210807_Burundi_washed_FilterOrigin_1.3.png (73.36 KiB) Viewed 6136 times
I think it could look better. There is a "hump" during first crack. I made a blind cupping with the original profile and 4 different variants with different modifications. It was a rather even race but I could clearly identify the original profile that tasted "woody" a taste I didn't like. The roasts with the higher fan speeds didn't taste any better and it had only small effect on the waveness of the ROR curve. The roast that tasted the best was my original modification with three zones and original fan curve. I have already shared that file.
What I now wondered was if it was possible to make the profile even "better" at least on paper? If you look on my log from 210804 you can see that the PID has a hard work from about 7 min to the end of the roast. I thought the PID was responsible for the wavering of the curve at the end. This is the third zone. For the first time I made a power zone of it. It is only 1% rise. Light/Medium light, L=1.5, DTR 20%, end weight 85.2g, end temp 216.9 deg. This is the log:
210808_Burundi_washed_ModFiltOrgP_1.5.png
210808_Burundi_washed_ModFiltOrgP_1.5.png (71.74 KiB) Viewed 6136 times
Voila! It was the PID! I haven't much left of the Burundi (maybe to one more roast). I think ROR could decline a little more at the end. Maybe I should change the timings and also lessen the power rise to about 0.5% or let it be level (zero rise)? This is the file that's used for the roast above with 1% power rise during the zone:
ModFiltOrigP.kpro
(3.49 KiB) Downloaded 511 times
Kaffelogic has a very good manual "The Kaffelogic Roasters Companion" where these things are explained.
nrdlnd

Post by nrdlnd »

Hi again!
Yesterday I started my breakfast with coffee from the roast without the power zone and today the roast with the power zone. Both with the same brewing method. I'm using the Kasuya Model of the V60 dripper (The 4:6 Method). It brings more taste and a better extraction compared to the standard dripper. You do also have to use a coarser grind and that's preferable. Yesterday there was an ok coffee but today very good! It was sweeter, fruiter with more diversified flavors. Actually I think one of the best filter coffees that I've made!

Then I made a blind cupping. 10g coffe 1:16, 4 min brewing time, Tasted after 10, 20 and 30 min. This was much more difficult. The P-version had a softer more balanced taste. Fruiter. The non P was a little tarter (roasty?) especially in the aftertaste. I liked the P-version better.
I think the V60 4:6 method extracts the coffee more efficient than a simple cupping and that's why the difference was clearer. But a big but there were one day between so it was also more subjective
Eldorado Green

Post by Eldorado Green »

Hi - I'm new to the forum... I've just started using my kaffelogic.
I've downloaded the Filter - Origin profile and will try it tomorrow with some Ethiopian Gambella Sun-dried.
Thanks for sharing. :)