How to accentuate fruit flavour in coffee (Filter)

Tell us about your experience, ask if you're unsure of something, let us know if you have a problem.
Yochiya

How to accentuate fruit flavour in coffee (Filter)

Post by Yochiya »

Super new to roasting, sometimes I feel new to coffee too.

Ever so often, I pick up a bag of coffee from my favourite roaster. When I open the bag, I get whacked with something that causes me to smile. I can tell what the coffee will taste like and cannot wait. Fruity, juicy, berry, sweet goodness.

I have yet to achieve this with my Nano.

At this stage, here are the main things I am attempting:

Beans: African or high grown origins
Roast Profiles: Shorter and faster, more heat up front. Fast-Raost, Filter-origin, Ninja-Turtle
Roast Depth: Lower depending on the profile, I am for 20% DTR or so.
Brew: Hario Switch, 15g coffee/ 250g water, 4min brew, 1min draw down. Delicious with bought beans.

I wont say my results are terrible, but it's certainly not where i'd like it to be.

Any advice, experiences, suggestions would be appreciated
Yochiya

Re: How to accentuate fruit flavour in coffee (Filter)

Post by Yochiya »

For anyone interested,

I find beyond the above, the following 2 dimensions contribute:

1. Coffee Processing: Natural processed tend to be more obviously fruity.
2. Rest periods: The most surprising factor for me personally. Resting brings out so much clarity and structure. I've been resting 2 weeks for my Ethiopian and find I notice a significant difference in smell when I crack open the bag. This is reflected in the taste.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Hi Guys.

Thanks for the post.

On the roast planning for the fruitier, juicier filter. Running the roast to sharp and intense in the beginning will dramatically shorten that drying phase. Be careful you are not moving too fast through this phase.

A shorter drying phase can be used to bring a bit more sweetness into the coffee provided the momentum of the road leading into the main development phase pre first crack is reduced. This means extending out this phase but only by 20 to 30 seconds max. You want to be pushing through the 3-3:30 min Maillard reaction phase.

Personally I find extending this to more around the 4 minute mark with big bold naturals provides just enough of what you are looking for- I mainly roast to between 45 seconds to 1:10 min post fc with about a 10 to 12 degree increase. Coffees roasting around 208 -209 degree.

Pitch your profile at this and keep your Drying phase to around a minimum of 45% of roast. This is only a suggestion but maybe for your needs you are going to have to pitch those profiles you are using slightly. This should make all the difference.

Have you tried any of the high altitude core profiles on this coffee. Please try this profile. Its a new Ethiopian filter profile I hav been working on. Give it a try.

Happy roasting and lets get you to your taste goals ASAP...
ethiopian filter profile V2.kpro
(1.77 KiB) Downloaded 335 times
Yochiya

Post by Yochiya »

Wayne wrote: Sat 16 Oct, 2021 11:06 am ...
Huge thanks for this, exactly what i wanted to understand better.

I will give the profile a go, provide some feedback and definitely put more focus in the drying phase going forward in general.

Cheers
Yochiya

Post by Yochiya »

klog attached for some Ethiopian Harrar Longberry, a bean that I have been struggling with for a while.

Will give it a taste tomorrow and every 2nd day after that.

I can add that it has an awesome aroma right off roast which genuinely excites me.
Attachments
log0031.klog
(61.35 KiB) Downloaded 271 times
mr. bean

Post by mr. bean »

Wayne wrote: Sat 16 Oct, 2021 11:06 am Hi Guys.

Thanks for the post.

On the roast planning for the fruitier, juicier filter. Running the roast to sharp and intense in the beginning will dramatically shorten that drying phase. Be careful you are not moving too fast through this phase.

A shorter drying phase can be used to bring a bit more sweetness into the coffee provided the momentum of the road leading into the main development phase pre first crack is reduced. This means extending out this phase but only by 20 to 30 seconds max. You want to be pushing through the 3-3:30 min Maillard reaction phase.

Personally I find extending this to more around the 4 minute mark with big bold naturals provides just enough of what you are looking for- I mainly roast to between 45 seconds to 1:10 min post fc with about a 10 to 12 degree increase. Coffees roasting around 208 -209 degree.

Pitch your profile at this and keep your Drying phase to around a minimum of 45% of roast. This is only a suggestion but maybe for your needs you are going to have to pitch those profiles you are using slightly. This should make all the difference.

Have you tried any of the high altitude core profiles on this coffee. Please try this profile. Its a new Ethiopian filter profile I hav been working on. Give it a try.

Thanks Wayne - keen to give this a go.
Just a few questions. Why only 790 for preheat with an Ethiopian? Would I need to boost this for full 120g?
Also, in your comments above you mention that we might want to go for 3 - 3:30min Maillard phase, but this profile only has 2:40... (Assuming 165deg @ 2:50min for drying time)...
Thanks!
matt
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Hi Matt

Great to hear from you. I run 120g on it at that preheat power and I find that it balances my coffee out. Feel free to go up to the recommended.

Its a short profile and I brought it down to 2:40 from an extended 3:30. I found this was the lowest I could go with this profile. Its 20 seconds lower than my norm but it I am enjoying it. Give it a try Matt and if you don't find enough development, lower the Maillard phase and extend it to 3-3:30 minutes.

It will be interesting to hear what you got out of it.

Regards

Wayne
Lovic

Post by Lovic »

Wayne wrote: Sat 16 Oct, 2021 11:06 am Hi Guys.

Thanks for the post.

Very good results on both Kenyan and Shakisso beans :)