Honduras La Flor - Medium Roast

Start a new topic for a new roast profile. Reply to an existing topic to enter your comments on the profile, or to attach minor variants.
HappyBean

Honduras La Flor - Medium Roast

Post by HappyBean »

Hi,

I'm fairly new to this but find it increasingly interesting!
After few attempts roasting different beans with the official profiles, I have started wondering what would be the upsides in developing my own (based on research and existing profiles).
After a few trials and sitting in front of the machine for 45mins trying to record every change and data possible, I came up with a profile for the Honduras La Flor beans.
The idea was to increase the time the beans are in the Maillard Reaction stage, taking their time to first crack then have a slow-ish development time (about 24%) after that for a medium (3.3) roast.
I find the result quite satisfying to be honest :).
Now I am leaving the profile with you guys and I'd be happy to know your more experienced thoughts and also what else can be done to improve the profile.
Thanks heaps!
Attachments
Honduras La Flor.kpro
(2.31 KiB) Downloaded 462 times
fnq

Re: Honduras La Flor - Medium Roast

Post by fnq »

Hi happy bean

Congratulations on your foray into profiling. Your description ( lengthening out Malliard etc) straight away reminded me of D roast profiles , and upon looking see some similarities ( the fans speed in D Roast are dialled up pretty high though). I have found with the longer profiles, the power line plays a part in ensuring the roast doesn't bake - so you may just want to keep an eye on the power"and power zones) in your logs. I am not familiar with that bean - but if you are happy with the results in the cup then you are doing well. Go ahead and drink another , you deserve it. Cheers Darryl.
HappyBean

Post by HappyBean »

Thanks Darryl,
I'll have a go with a D roast profile, see if it makes a big difference!
nrdlnd

Post by nrdlnd »

HappyBean wrote: Thu 28 Oct, 2021 10:14 am I'm fairly new to this but find it increasingly interesting!
After few attempts roasting different beans with the official profiles, I have started wondering what would be the upsides in developing my own (based on research and existing profiles).
After a few trials and sitting in front of the machine for 45mins trying to record every change and data possible, I came up with a profile for the Honduras La Flor beans.
The idea was to increase the time the beans are in the Maillard Reaction stage, taking their time to first crack then have a slow-ish development time (about 24%) after that for a medium (3.3) roast.
Now I am leaving the profile with you guys and I'd be happy to know your more experienced thoughts and also what else can be done to improve the profile.
Thanks heaps!
I admire that you are making your own profiles! If you publish a roast log it's much easier to give you feed back. It's the result that matters!
Cheers,
Per
HappyBean

Post by HappyBean »

Hey Per,

Thanks heaps! I attached the log. Let me know if you notice something needing to be improved!
Cheers
Thomas
Attachments
Honduras La For Medium - Manual.klog
(94.64 KiB) Downloaded 428 times
TheBean

Post by TheBean »

HappyBean wrote: Thu 28 Oct, 2021 10:14 am Hi,

Thanks heaps!
Great to see that someone finally calls profile with the beans origin name because there is no a profile than can provide a perfect result for all types of beans. Could you please let me know how you drink your coffee (i.e. espresso, milk, etc.) and what equipment you brew on? There are quite few profiles on the site that developers used specific brewing profiles on their Decent that can't be replicated on traditional espresso machines which alters the taste dramaticaly.
nrdlnd

Post by nrdlnd »

Hi HappyBean,
It doesn't look too bad. I'm especially looking at the ROR curve. It should be declining and it does except after 1st crack when the beans go exothermic. I may have tried a negative zone between 8:50 and 10:20. You can try with -2 or -3.Call this zone 2. Maybe a little more negative boost after 11 min (-1 or -2). Call this zone 3.
Another way to look at it could be to give a positive boost between 7:55 and 9:05 with +2 or +3. Maybe this is what I should try first and see what happens. This is during 1st crack when the beans give away a lot water as steam and become cooled down. You can call this zone 1. Then you maybe can adapt as above with a negative zone when the beans go exothermic (and produce heat by themselves).
I'm not an expert at this and it's always a challenge to get a nice falling ROR without getting flicks at the end. I congratulate you to a nice first try and wish you the best luck with your roasting.

EDIT: I searched for the bean and the size seems to be grade 1 (16/18) and SHG and around 1350 m altitude and fully washed. I like the Ethiopian grade 2 beans that are a little smaller and grown on an altitude around 2000 m and fully washed. They are hard beans that can take a lot of heat in the beginning so they get a higher preheat. "Natural" or dry prepared beens can be sensitive for too much heat in the beginning. Although your beans are bigger and grown at a lower altitude (but they are SHG and washed) you could never the less try a little higher preheat to give them a nice start. You have to be observant though that they don't show signs of charring. It's important also that they have a good movement in the beginning to avoid charring.
HappyBean

Post by HappyBean »

TheBean wrote: Mon 08 Nov, 2021 6:46 pm
HappyBean wrote: Thu 28 Oct, 2021 10:14 am Hi,

Thanks heaps!
Great to see that someone finally calls profile with the beans origin name because there is no a profile than can provide a perfect result for all types of beans. Could you please let me know how you drink your coffee (i.e. espresso, milk, etc.) and what equipment you brew on? There are quite few profiles on the site that developers used specific brewing profiles on their Decent that can't be replicated on traditional espresso machines which alters the taste dramaticaly.
I drink my coffee black and my partner drinks flat whites or with milk if not using the espresso machine. We tried the beans on our breville barista pro and in a plunger. You are absolutely right when you say the taste changes dramatically when brewed as an espresso. We felt that the infusion method with the plunger and a medium-ish grind (ratio was about 80g/L) was giving us the best results with an increased sweetness and an overall more balanced brew.
HappyBean

Post by HappyBean »

nrdlnd wrote: Sun 14 Nov, 2021 5:53 am Hi HappyBean,
It doesn't look too bad. I'm especially looking at the ROR curve. It should be declining and it does except after 1st crack when the beans go exothermic. I may have tried a negative zone between 8:50 and 10:20. You can try with -2 or -3.Call this zone 2. Maybe a little more negative boost after 11 min (-1 or -2). Call this zone 3.
Another way to look at it could be to give a positive boost between 7:55 and 9:05 with +2 or +3. Maybe this is what I should try first and see what happens. This is during 1st crack when the beans give away a lot water as steam and become cooled down. You can call this zone 1. Then you maybe can adapt as above with a negative zone when the beans go exothermic (and produce heat by themselves).
I'm not an expert at this and it's always a challenge to get a nice falling ROR without getting flicks at the end. I congratulate you to a nice first try and wish you the best luck with your roasting.

EDIT: I searched for the bean and the size seems to be grade 1 (16/18) and SHG and around 1350 m altitude and fully washed. I like the Ethiopian grade 2 beans that are a little smaller and grown on an altitude around 2000 m and fully washed. They are hard beans that can take a lot of heat in the beginning so they get a higher preheat. "Natural" or dry prepared beens can be sensitive for too much heat in the beginning. Although your beans are bigger and grown at a lower altitude (but they are SHG and washed) you could never the less try a little higher preheat to give them a nice start. You have to be observant though that they don't show signs of charring. It's important also that they have a good movement in the beginning to avoid charring.
Hey thanks for all that.
That's a lot of good info there and will definitely give it another go!