How does the KL adjust coffee weight?

Tell us about your experience, ask if you're unsure of something, let us know if you have a problem.
ecelis

How does the KL adjust coffee weight?

Post by ecelis »

Hello all, just got my KL nano roaster and have done several roasts. I'm wondering how does it know whether there are 100 g or 70 g coffee beans? I suspect that it's all in the temp probe, adjusting the time of the roast?

Also, I did roasts at 3.3, 3.0 and 2.5 using the K-logic classic profile and I really don't see much difference in the color of the beans. Is this the case?
Esteban
mr. bean

Re: How does the KL adjust coffee weight?

Post by mr. bean »

Hi, without the boost upgrade there is no way of adjusting for coffee weight without modifying the whole profile. It doesn't 'sense' the amount of coffee and adjust, except to say that the KL will use more power to make a larger batch follow the same profile curve as a smaller batch.

The Classic profile has a fairly flat curve after first few minutes, so those ending points are not going to be hugely different in temperature, which will affect colour. They will be more developed however, and should taste different (and look different to some extent).
DavidZ

Post by DavidZ »

ecelis wrote: Wed 12 Apr, 2023 1:41 am Hello all, just got my KL nano roaster and have done several roasts. I'm wondering how does it know whether there are 100 g or 70 g coffee beans? I suspect that it's all in the temp probe, adjusting the time of the roast?
I just got mine last week. :D

It's my understanding that you should only roast batches from 100g to 120g (assuming you're not using the boost kit). If you roast less than 100g, the temperature probe is less accurate. Since the roaster uses the temperature as measured at the bean probe to control the roast profile, batches of less than 100g will not follow the roast profile correctly.

As long as you have between 100g and 120g of green beans, the beans will cover the probe sufficiently. Less than 100g and the beans don't surround the probe enough to get an accurate reading.

That's what I learned from watching YouTube videos. If I'm wrong, I would appreciate someone correcting me.
discoaus

Post by discoaus »

Without the boost kit, the core profiles are set to roast 100-120g batches. You can adjust the profiles to suit lower batches but this is needed to be done by the user, so having an understanding of what you’re doing is required. If you have the boost kit however, you can adjust the profiles from 50-200g batches. The unit adjusts the profiles to suit the 10g change increments etc
Geronimo

Post by Geronimo »

discoaus wrote: Wed 26 Jul, 2023 1:04 am Without the boost kit, the core profiles are set to roast 100-120g batches. You can adjust the profiles to suit lower batches but this is needed to be done by the user, so having an understanding of what you’re doing is required. If you have the boost kit however, you can adjust the profiles from 50-200g batches. The unit adjusts the profiles to suit the 10g change increments etc
Hi

I’ve yet to have a good roast using Boost. The roast profiles are rough as guts compared to the original chaff collector or using around 110 gram batches with Boost. I’ve gone up to 160 grams, and disappointing results and to top that, beans in the chaff collector (It needs more height ideally rather than messing with fan cooling speeds). It should work out of the box with very little tweaks to original profiles. It doesn’t seem to be tested properly in my view for the bulk of Kaffelogic profiles including a bunch of profiles Chris Hilder posted, which had been working well prior to upgrade.

Cheers
G
ecelis

Post by ecelis »

Just an update: I am normally roasting 150g using the Boost. Before starting the roast I check the Fan Speed using the new software update. If the beans move well I proceed with the roast. On some ocassions like with large beans I have to increase the fan speed with "+". The display changes from 150g to 160, 180 200... The roasts come out fine.
Esteban
discoaus

Post by discoaus »

Geronimo wrote: Wed 26 Jul, 2023 12:26 pm
discoaus wrote: Wed 26 Jul, 2023 1:04 am Without the boost kit, the core profiles are set to roast 100-120g batches. You can adjust the profiles to suit lower batches but this is needed to be done by the user, so having an understanding of what you’re doing is required. If you have the boost kit however, you can adjust the profiles from 50-200g batches. The unit adjusts the profiles to suit the 10g change increments etc
Hi

I’ve yet to have a good roast using Boost. The roast profiles are rough as guts compared to the original chaff collector or using around 110 gram batches with Boost. I’ve gone up to 160 grams, and disappointing results and to top that, beans in the chaff collector (It needs more height ideally rather than messing with fan cooling speeds). It should work out of the box with very little tweaks to original profiles. It doesn’t seem to be tested properly in my view for the bulk of Kaffelogic profiles including a bunch of profiles Chris Hilder posted, which had been working well prior to upgrade.

Cheers
G
Have you tried some user created profiles? I find that I don’t really use the KL profiles at all, with the exception of the 1200-1500 test for some of my Ethiopian beans and some others. I have found steady & dark II, md3, and a couple other user created to be my favourites. Also, depending on what bean you’re roasting, lots of users here can have some input on profiles they’ve had success with, including checking the user created profiles to see what they used, or checking the green bean review to see what people have used for each specific bean also

Goodluck