Expected life of the Nano?

Tell us about your experience, ask if you're unsure of something, let us know if you have a problem.
mr. bean

Expected life of the Nano?

Post by mr. bean »

Hi Chris / Wayne,

Just wondering if you have any idea how many roasts you'd expect a typical Nano 7 to do before something failed? Obviously things can go wrong at any time, but wondering if there's any testing been done or educated guesses??

Because it's so easy to roast, I roast for a few friends (even with the 120g limit!), and just wondering how much Im shortening the lifespan : )

Cheers,
Matt
kaffelogic
Site Admin

Re: Expected life of the Nano?

Post by kaffelogic »

The nominal figure is one roast per day for five years which is around 2,000 roasts. However it is intended as an heirloom machine with each part replaceable and therefore an indefinite lifespan. That nominal figure is running time without need to replace a part. Thermocouple and heater element are the two components most likely to need early replacement.
Angela

Post by Angela »

I needed to dissemble and clean the contacts connecting the motor to the circuit board at around 430 roasts. The fan motor first became intermittent at starting and then finally would not run.

Reseating the contacts and reassembly gave temporary respite. However, it took a full clean with a contact cleaner and lubricant spray that finally fixed it, 2 or 3 months ago. Whether my machine - backer's model - is typical who knows.

Car manufacturers overcome this kind of problem with mechanically clamped connectors I understand.
kaffelogic
Site Admin

Post by kaffelogic »

Thanks for adding this info Angela. So far I am not aware of anyone else encountering this issue, but will certainly be keeping an eye out for it, and will add your experience and actions to our troubleshooting guide. If it does prove to be a widespread issue we will modify our manufacturing accordingly. Given that we already have a number of hand soldered joints on the board I would be inclined to make this a soldered connection.
mr. bean

Post by mr. bean »

Thanks for the info - and for sharing your experience Angela.
So far I'm up to just over 530 roasts and no issues. Sometimes (not often!) I do 12 roasts in a day when roasting for a few friends with no issues.

So hopefully many roasts to come : )
Eightimmortals

Post by Eightimmortals »

Mine died today, no power but was working fine at last use. Is under three years old and only used once per week/fortnight. Am waiting a response from KL support.
domi

Post by domi »

FWIW, I received my Nano almost 4 years ago and it now has 819 roasts under its belt. Still going strong.
rosemarycole6

Post by rosemarycole6 »

Eightimmortals wrote: Mon 22 May, 2023 12:41 pm Mine died today, no power but was working fine at last use. Is under three years old and only used once per week/fortnight. Am waiting a response from KL support.
@Eightimmortals,
how did you go with your getting your Nano repaired/replaced?