Good lighter roast profile in city roast range ?

Tell us about your experience, ask if you're unsure of something, let us know if you have a problem.
BenN

Re: Good lighter roast profile in city roast range ?

Post by BenN »

Geronimo wrote: Fri 30 Aug, 2019 2:07 pm Sorry Ben, I meant courser. I’ve got finer on the brain, as I’m just about to make an espresso and have to change my grinder to much finer and automatically typed it.
Thanks Craig, Kind get it coarser to reduce bitterness or may be pull little shorter. Because, flow rate was seems to be right on that pull, if I remember correctly :)

Thanks Again!

My flat (electric) seems to be little more difficult to dial in than conical (hand grinder)... I will get there eventually.
Ben
BenN

Post by BenN »

Bit of tweak on profile 6 and roasted Honduras 100g ( got 83g / 24.5% DTR ) at level 2.8.
Honduras - Profile 007 L2.8
Honduras - Profile 007 L2.8
Honduras Profile7.jpg (46.54 KiB) Viewed 6299 times
I also attached profile, if any one want to see.
What I changed is lowered preheat power, and extended bot of fan speed at end of roast n, but I'm sure I'm not using that part. ( Haven't got too much difference form previous 006, if I look at result )
Trying to make bit stable at start of roast but that may not be big effect on taste.

For Ethiopian ( seems to be hot topic) I do use same profile and much lower DTR.
I had slower raising curve up to about profile 003 ( which need smoothing up a bit ) and I recall it was nice with Sedamo ( I did not have Yirgacheff at the time ) but rack of sweetness for other like Brazil, Mexican. I may bring back that and refine for another Ethiopian variety,
Attachments
BenN 007.kpro
Profile no.7
(2.49 KiB) Downloaded 304 times
Ben
BenN

Post by BenN »

Unrefined but lower raise rate profile . As you can see this is modified version of Firestarter.
Comapre 004 and 007
Comapre 004 and 007
004 vs 007.jpg (40.42 KiB) Viewed 6292 times
Faint line is curve from 007.

I do level 2.4 for Yirgacheffe with curve 007 but may be get more fruitiness from 004. I haven't done that for Yirgashelff yet so there is remote chance that it could go flat taste. level set there is just guide I suggest start from darker level ( say 3.0) and watch DTR and top it around 20-22% mark.

Feed back will be very much appreciated.

PS 004 set to 2.5 but I was experimenting with Brazil at the time. So may get lower for Ethiopians.
edit: Did this with washed Yirgacheffe , 24%dtr gets 2.9, with good aroma. but could be lower the level.
Attachments
BenN 004.kpro
(2.03 KiB) Downloaded 301 times
Last edited by BenN on Sat 21 Sep, 2019 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ben
Sam.law

Post by Sam.law »

Hi Ben,

Thanks for sharing your results. :D I normally aim for lighter roasts as well and am generally a fan for fruity natural Ethiopian. Still a novice roaster with the Kaffelogic (but roasted on a Quest M3 for years).

I created a roast profile based on the BT/ET curve I'm more familiar with (my first attempt so it's definitely not perfect). The fruitiness was very lively after about 7 days rest. If you have natural Ethiopians and want to try some light roast feel free to give this a try. In this particular roast I dropped at 1.6. The flavour profile was right but a touch on the light side (more bright), I would probably go up to 1.8.

Likewise I will give your profile a go as well in my next roasting session.
Attachments
log0012.klog
(58.73 KiB) Downloaded 292 times
BenN

Post by BenN »

Thanks Sam! I'm sure give it try one next run.

Your heat profile looks very nice and close to my 004 ( although not exactly same and you have more control point! ), I think goo to have that slightly flat finish as aiming to lower level of roast and likely finish way before 10min.

Your fan speed profile is different from my I guess because I started modify Firestarter.
I'm sure that also affect process and I'm quite interested in how it goes.

I may do 100g ( my normal dose for Nano 7 ) each for yours and slightly modified 004 next time and aim to DTR about 21~22%. Based on your FC mark it represent around 1.9~2.0. I like slightly developed taste, so that may be good start.
004 vs Samjpg.jpg
004 vs Samjpg.jpg (42.31 KiB) Viewed 6287 times
Ben
Steve

Post by Steve »

Hey guys this may be of interest to the light roast natural Ethiopian mission. After wringing all I could out of the Classic and Firestarter profiles I have been playing around fairly intensively with modified Ninja profiles, using the stock Ninja for control.

I've been doing a heap of blind cupping and consistently preferred roasts that start fast like the Ninja for superior overall development.

The attached log is an Eth natural
100g in
86.4g out
Modified Ninja, slower drying / transition phase with a shorter ramp to FCS and a quick finish
This bean has late first crack at 215 so this would need to be taken into account
There is also a fair bit of boost control modifications
Filter roast and soluble enough for light espresso though i think it could easily go up to 2.9 - 3.0
Super fruity aromatics

Cheers
Ninja9shorterfinish.klog
(58.88 KiB) Downloaded 297 times
BenN

Post by BenN »

Thanks Steve,. It's a different approach to mine (slow stater) and very much interesting to compare. :)
Ben
BenN

Post by BenN »

Uploaded what I'm mostly using now on first post. and some level use for note to self...
Ben
Angela

Post by Angela »

Just tried Steve's Ninja9shorterfinish with some Yirgacheffe and ...
Screenshot from 2019-09-21 10-28-35.png
Screenshot from 2019-09-21 10-28-35.png (167.08 KiB) Viewed 6225 times
it produces a temperature kick whilst the beans are exothermic in First Crack. The kick up causes the roast to bail out prematurely. So nothing special aroma-wise immediately after roasting.

The profile starts underpowered? Any reason for this?

Increased the zone 2 range (with -4 ︒C as the zone 2 boost) to 9:00. Will try again.
Angela

Post by Angela »

Closer to curve at the end with this go...
Screenshot from 2019-09-21 11-10-55.png
Screenshot from 2019-09-21 11-10-55.png (165.6 KiB) Viewed 6221 times
But still over temperature where it matters so probably another degree to subtract from zone 2 boost.

I'll cup these tomorrow ...