Ninja 2nd in Golden Bean comp

Tell us about your experience, ask if you're unsure of something, let us know if you have a problem.
Mark

Re: Ninja 2nd in Golden Bean comp

Post by Mark »

Received my results today.

Judges Comments.

Espresso:
Some good flavour and body. Could benefit a little lighter.
Good attack, acidity and sweetness nice, body somewhat thin, some carbon on the finish.

Milk Based:
Overall smooth and well balanced. Chocolate and oranges.
Cheesecake, orange, well balanced, smooth, almonds.

Filter:
Decent honey sweetness, not much acidity. Hot taste. Quick and smoky finish.

Reasonably pleased with this. Glad I entered. Will have to do some more research as I’m not sure what to do to increase the “body”.

Steve, I’ve ordered some of that Bandar Jaya Sumatra that you mentioned….have not been a big filter drinker….but now I’m roasting my own beans…it’s a road I want to travel on.

Cheers Mark
Steve

Post by Steve »

Excellent Mark, its a good coffee to get into manual brewing / cupping. Does not have the in your face attitude that many natural Ethiopian can have or major funk. I suggest cupping it in a small bowl 12g / 200g water just boiled, wait 3 to 4 min, stir 3 times, scoop off foam, wait another 10 min then taste it over the next 10 to 15min.

Glee coffee roasters who won overall champion, gold espresso and milk with their new blend uses the same Sumatra coupled with their current Ethiopian natural.
Their filter roast of the Bandar Jaya also got a silver.

So the themes seem to be: lacking body / thin / short finish some underdevelopment / charring and stripping of aromas.

All points to the roast getting too hot too quickly. Outer layers are stripped of moisture before the heat can transfer to the inner layers. (Uneven roasting)

Seems the amount of agitation or lofting at the start of 100g roast is very little and it takes a while to reach the transitional fluid state, this can not be good for even development going so fast when there is not enough agitation. Going to 80g or below seems too encourage carouseling / like a centrifuge which is just as bad.

Ive been doing a lot of test roasts with the covers off trying to design a fan profile for 90g batch size (AA bean size), 8min to first crack, decling ROR which maintains the bubbling trans fluid state throughout entire roast. The Firestarter fan profile ends up pushing into more of a spouted fluid state in the latter parts of the roast which means if you try to slow ROR and roast lighter it just stalls out, it gets worse and many beans will jump out everywhere.

Would it not be better to maintain this very small semi fluid mass of beans at all cost? Hopefully just adding an extra 5 to 10g of smaller beans will keep the same state as the larger AA bean size without having to redesign the fan profile.
Mark

Post by Mark »

Thanks for your reply Steve...much appreciated.

As far as agitation...yesterday I tried to film my roast (mainly to detect colour change)....I used my iPhone and obviously had it to close as it gave up the ghost a few minutes in....too hot it told me!

Is there a basic/approximate temp for colour change....does it differ from a drum roaster?

So much to learn....ha ha!

Cheers Mark
Angela

Post by Angela »

saw this and thought of your tasting notes re- carbon.

Michael McIntyre of Catalyst Coffee Consulting .... “Not enough air movement and the batch will not have good cup clarity. In that case, the coffee will likely have a carbon quality from not effectively removing the exhaust.”

https://www.perfectdailygrind.com/2019/ ... ontrol-it/
Mark

Post by Mark »

Hmmmmm very interesting. Thanks Angela.

Cheers Mark