Could someone check this profile for me please….

Tell us about your experience, ask if you're unsure of something, let us know if you have a problem.
Mark

Could someone check this profile for me please….

Post by Mark »

Could someone check this profile for me please….I’m just learning about profiles and I made up this one after reading the thread below. I did get a couple of warnings when I went to save it…..so I went with the recommendations rather than ignore them.

Basically it’s a profile that Rob Hoo’s gives as an example. I don’t wish to blow my machine up….or worse….burn my house down….so would appreciate if it’s given the once over before I try it. I realise the charge and turn around don’t apply to our machine.

https://www.home-barista.com/home-roast ... 21-20.html

Post # 30

Beginning 182c 50.2lb Charge, Turn Around 63c @ 0:45, Pale white 149c @ 4:00, Yellowing and Hay-like 160c @ 5:00, Brown and Bready 171c@ 6:00, FC 203c @ 9:20, drop 212c @ 11:40. Though I have the data on those roasts specifically, I think this should get you a general ball-park idea of where I am coming from.

Cheers Mark
Steve

Re: Could someone check this profile for me please….

Post by Steve »

Hey Mark have you made a file?

I dont see why it would not work.

I regularly have observed start of colour change (starting to turn yellow) on the Nano 160 - 165 with full yellow happening 168 to 172. Bean observer dependent of course and profile / fan etc.
Mark

Post by Mark »

Hoo's Test.kpro
(2.22 KiB) Downloaded 309 times
Sheesh...talk about alzheimers or what.....I forgot to include the file!

Cheers Mark
Steve

Post by Steve »

Mark I have made some changes to your profile based on my interpretation of the converted temps you posted earlier. Basically ramps it pretty hard to colour change then there is a slow down for the colour change, followed by a reasonable gradient up to and through first crack. The Classic fan profile you have used may actually work OK for this kind of profile using 100g.

I am getting some promising results with my new decline ROR profile with custom fan profile, when I am sure its produces the goods I will post it. I am already getting HUGE improvements in ground aromas though, wow kind of moments even from average beans.
Hoo's Test2.kpro
(2.51 KiB) Downloaded 325 times
Mark

Post by Mark »

Thanks once again Steve. Will give it a run tomorrow.

Your new profile sounds good.....the main reason I purchased the Nano....too have so much control yeh man!

Cheers Mark
Angela

Post by Angela »

Steve wrote: Sat 30 Nov, 2019 3:04 pm Mark I have made some changes to your profile based on my interpretation of the converted temps you posted earlier.
I've been asking for a while how a drum roaster profile converts to an air roast. I tried assuming a fixed offset based of the fisrt crack difference but that didn't seem to work over well.

I would be interested in your 'interpretations' Steve.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Mark wrote: Sat 30 Nov, 2019 3:50 pm Thanks once again Steve. Will give it a run tomorrow.

Your new profile sounds good.....the main reason I purchased the Nano....too have so much control yeh man!

Cheers Mark
Mark I have made further adjustments to your Hoo's profile, number 3 attached below.
Smoothed out the curve I think that's as good as it gets?
Also changed the fan profile based on my latests rounds of testing and I think it should work OK for 100g load.
Have not had a chance to test it myself as I am doing drum roasting for others...
But, with the new fan profile im guessing it should give you a pretty smooth roast ROR (might need some negative boosts around first crack for control?). This style of profile on a Brazil pulped natural should end up low acid, pretty sweet and super syrupy while still hanging around the med - light roast zone - no charbucks.

Hoo's Test3.kpro
(2.8 KiB) Downloaded 336 times
Last edited by Steve on Sun 01 Dec, 2019 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Angela wrote: Sat 30 Nov, 2019 10:17 pm
Steve wrote: Sat 30 Nov, 2019 3:04 pm Mark I have made some changes to your profile based on my interpretation of the converted temps you posted earlier.
I've been asking for a while how a drum roaster profile converts to an air roast. I tried assuming a fixed offset based of the fisrt crack difference but that didn't seem to work over well.

I would be interested in your 'interpretations' Steve.
It's going to be different for every machine.
Are the burners directly under drum or located elsewhere and the hot air is transported through the rear of drum only?
Most importantly where are the probes located? Thick or thin? are they in the bean mass all the time or measuring mostly the environment temp hot air?

A lot of modern drums are just a rotating cylinder that is heated via hot air from elshere. So instead of the beans being lofted in the air (agitation) by a blower which also carries the heat, the vanes in the drum do it.

Rob Hoo's is a Loring trainer, thats a fixed drum, with paddles or vanes that move instead, a sealed system of recirculating hot air. He gave lots of Information in his post matching time to observable colour markers then gave his temps for reference.

There are never going to be any easy set and forget answers with regards to temp offsets.
You have to know your machine, observe all the stages of the roast, changing colour /smell and record the times.

Professionals could match on whole bean and ground colour measured by one of the many devices available then blind cup everything repeatedly. The reality is most would just be using small air roasters to evaluate samples and have a rough idea about how the flavours will translate to their production machine and leave it at that...
Angela

Post by Angela »

Thanks Steve. I think what you are saying is don't bother looking at Artisan charts from other roasters because they are not directly transferable to air flow roasting without knowing the exact equivalence. I'd sort of come to that disappointing conclusion already.
BenN

Post by BenN »

I just looked at Steve's no.3 profile and just for curiosity compare to what I have using recently for light to light medium roast.
Not so surprisingly, it is close ( well not same of course) as I was readding Rob Hoo's book and profile started to modifying Firestater.
4d temp.jpg
4d temp.jpg (33.15 KiB) Viewed 6388 times
I use level 2.0 ~ 2.1 for Ethiopian Sidamo by disseminating default set level )

Some comparison pic here light line is mine:
comp temp.jpg
comp temp.jpg (34.72 KiB) Viewed 6388 times
comp fan.jpg
comp fan.jpg (31.86 KiB) Viewed 6388 times
Interesting to see how Steve;s interpretation comes out.
Attachments
BenN 004d.kpro
(2.42 KiB) Downloaded 293 times
Ben