Hint for removing inner chimney sleeve needed

Tell us about your experience, ask if you're unsure of something, let us know if you have a problem.
Justine

Hint for removing inner chimney sleeve needed

Post by Justine »

Hello,

I usually remove the inner sleeve when the machine has just finished, a bit hot to handle but easier to remove.

Occasionally I get distracted and the machine is totally cold. Then I have great difficulty easing the sleeve out.

I've tried turning it upside down and gently pushing with my nails by where the screws are.

I've tried pulling from above.

I'm concerned that the mesh will get misshapen or torn.

Any tips?

Also on how to put it back in when cold, it's a very tight fit then.

Many thanks, Justine
Steve

Re: Hint for removing inner chimney sleeve needed

Post by Steve »

I used standard easy slip on Dewalt work gloves available from bunnings, they have a good degree of flexibility and dexterity. Not designed specifically for heat but there is enough to them to give comfortable degree of handling comfort. For example they are the kind of gloves i would use if working on a hot engine of some sort and wanted good dexterity.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/dewalt-rapi ... lsrc=aw.ds
Justine

Post by Justine »

Hi Steve, they might save my hands when it's hot.

But I'm after a hint on removing the sleeve when it's stuck in there when it's cold.

Many thanks, Justine
Steve

Post by Steve »

I would try place it upside down on bench then grab only the outer plastic housing and gently tap in up and down on bench and it should just fall out.

As for getting it back in when cold, yes it can be a tight fit but with more use it gets easier.
Justine

Post by Justine »

I'll give those a go next time, cheers
kaffelogic
Site Admin

Post by kaffelogic »

The aluminium mesh is particularly fragile when it is hot, so removing the chimney when hot should be done carefully to not put any stress on the mesh.

As for removing it when it is cold, it should be firm, but not so tight that you have to wrestle with it. If you think that it has locked up and has become unmanageable, contact me directly to discuss options for replacement. [email protected]
Justine

Post by Justine »

The inner sleeve falls out easily when it's all hot, so I shouldn't cause any damage then. It's good to know though that that is when it's delicate.
BenN

Post by BenN »

I normally hold bottom part of plastic base and wiggle inner tube form top holding inside of tune..,=. Hard toi describe here,
May be easer from bottom by both thumb inside the tube.

Normally get out in few wiggle with no hassle when it cold.
When it's hot I use one of tea towel to hold tune inner part from top to slide out.
Make sure you have something underneath to catch the chaff unless you are outside.
Ben
Angela

Post by Angela »

I wonder if its time for a modification? I too find the rigmarole of removal of the tube a pain and had thought of two small holes drilled diametrically opposed at the top of the aluminium tube, then having a wire, (I had thought of a solid copper conductor from 15A cable), to make a loop handle, ready to grasp. Air flow up there is hardly critical and I can't see it interfering much with the chaff flow.

If the wire, suggested, was a half circle following the dimensions of the tube, it could be judiciously bent so as to allow it to lay on top of the tube when not in use and then swung upright through 90 degrees to pull on. Spring steel, in this use-case, would hold its shape.
Henk

Post by Henk »

Hi Angela (and others),

I wrote the following in the hope that it might also help others who had problems in removing the chimney.

Your chimney problem is similar to the one I had until recently. My chimney could not be seated in the plastic part even during the assembly stage.
A close inspection of the bottom part of the chaff collector revealed that two of the four screws were sticking out just a little too far and were thus impeding further insertion of the chimney.

First attempts to make adjustments using a Philips screwdriver were unsuccessful. Realising that they were not Philips screws but Posidriv screws, I fetched a suitable driver from my tool rack and adjusted the screw head protrusion for a snug fit of the chimney whilst still being able to remove it when warm/hot.

Posidriv drivers are available from Bunnings as well as other well stocked suppliers. See below for a link to make identification easier. The illustration is for the size you need (No.1).

Using a bit of trial and error and small adjustments each time, I hope you can strike a suitable compromise.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/stanley-100 ... r_p6064935

Good luck,
Henk.

PS. Wikipedia has an excellent section on Philips and Posidriv fasteners.