Log not being recorded

Tell us about your experience, ask if you're unsure of something, let us know if you have a problem.
kaffelogic
Site Admin

Re: Log not being recorded

Post by kaffelogic »

This issue is now occurring widely enough that we can no longer say that getting a new memory stick will fix it. In some cases a new or freshly formatted memory stick will run better than an old one, but this is obviously not a complete fix. We will resolve this with a firmware update, but please allow several weeks for this solution to be developed and tested.
Simon

Post by Simon »

For what it's worth my last six or so roasts have logged successfully with no dud logs in between. I'm not sure what's changed; these were all using the same profile (my modified Ninja).
kaffelogic
Site Admin

Post by kaffelogic »

The problem appears to be a timing issue. I expect it to be quite variable, as you describe. To date I have not had the chance to complete my analysis and have not been able to issue a firmware update to address this issue.
kaffelogic
Site Admin

Post by kaffelogic »

I have a work-around for if you are having persistent problems with logs: put the memory stick in and reset the roaster (turn on with start button down). Load your desired profile, set your desired level, and start the roast. The reset ensures the connection with the memory stick is good, but means you have to re-load the profile and level.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Thanks Chris. My last batch two days ago didn't log but the batch I roasted just now did.

I'll try this next time.
kaffelogic
Site Admin

Post by kaffelogic »

Firmware version 7.3.5 contains two enhancements that should fix these USB issues.

First there has been a change made to one of the USB timeout settings, which has caused all of the issues I was able to replicate to go away. I would appreciate feedback from those of you who were having trouble with memory sticks.

Second there has been a change to the error handling so that you should get a message if there is anything preventing a log being saved. It's a fairly generic message at present, but I will fine tune it if I get reports of it appearing consistently. Keep your eyes out for error messages on the screen when you are starting a roast.

Let me know how it goes. Memory sticks can be highly variable so it is hard for me to replicate every situation when testing the firmware.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Hi Chris,

I've roasted ~8 batches since updating the firmware and all have logged successfully. That's the longest continuous run of logs I've had so far, so I think you've cracked it.
kaffelogic
Site Admin

Post by kaffelogic »

Great. Until I hear any new reports of the problem I shall consider it fixed.
armeniaca

Post by armeniaca »

Hi Chris,

Sorry to throw a spanner in your works. My Kaffelogic has never recorded roast profiles. Like the other users I'm getting a 0kb file for each roast (but I can confirm I'm getting one for every roast) but with nothing in it.

I've tried all of the fixes in this thread and various USB sticks. I've updated the firmware and am currently on the latest version.

Can you please give me some advice re this, or is there further info you require?

Kerrie

PS, we're loving our Kaffelogic and enjoying the fantastic taste of freshly roasted coffee - multiple times each day :D
kaffelogic
Site Admin

Post by kaffelogic »

Hi Kerrie - it does sound like a spanner in the works. We will do some trouble-shooting. First could you please just confirm for me the version of Firmware by following these instructions https://kaffelogic.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=22 and letting me know what you see. I will then make sure that I have the same version on one of the test machines in our service centre here and verify that it is saving logs on a memory stick. Then I will post out that memory stick to you. That just eliminates a few possible variables before we get stuck into the trouble shooting properly.