Fresh roast storage container tips please

Tell us about your experience, ask if you're unsure of something, let us know if you have a problem.
Beanz

Fresh roast storage container tips please

Post by Beanz »

I just managed to squeeze in the delivery of my Nano 7 the day before lockdown, along with some beans. Oh boy!!! If anyone is on the fence and holding back.....don't!!! It is much easier to use than I thought and a hell of a lot of fun...…. and that's just the beginning of the journey.... (I have 2 x 18gm espresso each morning and my wife 1 x 9gm latte, Hx espresso machine)

It took a little time to get confident to begin using the machine...downloading firmware, researching profiles and this forum in particular for clues and hints. I started off with Columbian - Melky Chavez. Made the Rookie mistake of nudging the K-Classic roast to L4.0 and, though the end result had a strong burnt toast overlay, the brew was otherwise amazing. Rich, full bodied, dark chocolate... The relief was palpable!! It's a big investment and I know it can pay off, now.

Since then I have done three more roasts but it raises the issue of both resting and storage, esp as, in NZ, we are entering our winter months. Before Kaffelogic [BK] I had been buying commercial blends and storing up to 500gms in a Delonghi Vacuum container. It tends to lose its vacuum and, over time, I'm needing to adjust the grind as the beans age and dry etc. Somehow, I don't trust it for this next stage in the journey...where I'm needing multiple containers.

So the question is, when roasting 100gm lots and wishing to store between 200gm and 500gm of bean, what containers have you found successful, out of the myriad of those available. I'm drawn to the Atmos...

Secondly, is it safe to leave freshly roasted beans exposed for 12 hrs to degas in this climate?

Forgive me if this topic is covered elsewhere and, moderator, feel free to remove this post if off topic.
First Roasts.jpg
First Roasts.jpg (1.7 MiB) Viewed 5261 times
BenN

Re: Fresh roast storage container tips please

Post by BenN »

Not sure if you can get it now, may need to wait until lockdown get easy. But for your info...

I'm using one of those, there may be a bigger size if you want store large quantity, but I find make it smaller but multiple bug will be better.

It's a film lined one-way bulb and zip lock resealable bag. and it is reusable as well.
bag.jpg
bag.jpg (81.66 KiB) Viewed 5256 times
Ben
Beanz

Post by Beanz »

Brilliant idea. Many thanks Ben.
Sam

Post by Sam »

Hi Beanz,

I use the smaller of Airscape containers by Planetary Design and have been happy with their build and performance. The small size is good for up to 250gm of beans.

There is a one-way valve in the plunger style lid which is push down to seal the coffee and adjusts to the amount of beans remaining.

Of course, the one-way valve bags are a more economical solution but I found that I couldn't get all the air out of the bags as the volume of beans decreased.

Cheers,

Sam
Beanz

Post by Beanz »

Really practical solution. Much appreciated Sam. And, do you stick labels on or put a paper note in the container?
I'm currently just using Sistema click clack jobs, as an interim measure and am putting paper notes in the container. But, I'm well aware I'm not letting them breath. I am waiting 12 hours before sealing.

After 4 days with Guatemala Huehuetenango, I'm still getting quite frothy Crema. I roasted at K-Logic Classic 3.5. very pleased with taste at 18g,27s,55g, 9Bar and 93C. But there is a hint of burnt toast, if you like, so have to tame that. In the meantime, it is figuring out storage and labelling systems, esp by scouring these pages!!

Many thanks
Sam

Post by Sam »

Hi,

I'm just adding Avery 937221 removable labels to the transparent lids on the Airscape containers. I record the bean, profile, roast level and roast date. I have 2 Airscape containers so that I can roast two different beans and then, blend post-roast. 3 x 100 g green beans yields about 260 g roasted beans enough to fill the small Airscape.

There are no hard and fast rules for de-gassing. I used to leave the beans out the first 24 hours, but now I just put the freshly roasted beans in the Airscape containers and wait 5 -7 days before using. Beans at 3-4 days will still have a lot of gas but still make a drinkable cup of coffee.

I think it's about keeping it simple. Leave out steps that don't make a difference in the cup so that roasting doesn't become a chore. Establish a workflow that fits your schedule.

Sam
Beanz

Post by Beanz »

Excellent advice, Thanks Sam! I see the Airscape is a bit tricky to track down in NZ, esp atm. Will persevere.

I agree re establishing a simple routine and find I'm quickly, at this early stage, settling into 200gm a time.... Now to get me some labels....Essential service, I'm sure!! ;)
Sam

Post by Sam »

I did use one-way valve coffee bags for a while and then happened upon the Airscape. So, I wouldn't stress too much about it. So many other factors come into play when making coffee.