Ninja profile - not following profile at end of roast

Tell us about your experience, ask if you're unsure of something, let us know if you have a problem.
Nutta

Ninja profile - not following profile at end of roast

Post by Nutta »

Hi,

I've been using the Ninja profile for a few roasts recently, and often see that towards the end mean temp tracks above the profile curve. This happens pretty consistently.

I don't see this behaviour on other profiles - all tracking pretty well.

Any idea what might cause this? Sample log attached.

Cheers,
Nick
Attachments
ninja.kpro
(2.32 KiB) Downloaded 277 times
log0484.klog
(73.89 KiB) Downloaded 269 times
kaffelogic
Site Admin

Re: Ninja profile - not following profile at end of roast

Post by kaffelogic »

There is nothing untoward in the roast log. What you are seeing is the beans entering an exothermic stage with such energy that the roast control system doesn't catch up until the temperature is well off the line. You will probably find that with a different variety of beans this will happen around the same place but not so pronounced because different beans behave differently in this respect.

It's quite significant in this case and there are a few different approaches you can take to this.
  1. So long as it hasn't adversely affected the flavour you can just accept it.
  2. You can use a zone boost to reduce the effect (see the roaster's companion on the support page) - this involves editing the profile and would mean you were customising the profile for those particular beans.
  3. You can decide that those particular beans are not playing nicely with that profile, and use a different profile.
I hope this helps.
Nutta

Re: Ninja profile - not following profile at end of roast

Post by Nutta »

Yes, it certainly helps.

I've seen the same with various beans on this profile, to varying levels of deviation as you suggest.

I'll play with tweaking the profile to see what happens.

This is all part of the fun of the Kaffelogic roaster... 8-)