The Power of the Dark Side

Tell us about your experience, ask if you're unsure of something, let us know if you have a problem.
Steve

The Power of the Dark Side

Post by Steve »

My latest thoughts followed by an excellent dark roast profile.....

Like the Ninja profile, jumping straight up the very start and easing off is quite useful as it kind of mimics a pre heated roaster or an imaginary turning point like in a drum roaster except its a mirror image.

From here we want to drive as much heat into the beans early on as possible within the limits of what the KL can do with a much higher rpm fan profile without crashing the power profile later in the roast which i've found results in baking.

The ROR has a long flat peak from driving a straight line (as opposed to a curve) toward colour change which the Ninja-eske start allows. I have observed that the colour change starts around 160c and finishes at 170c So I just split the difference at 165. Others may perceive different especially when it comes to perception of green and yellow, so it will always be somewhat arbitrary.

2 stage fan profile seems to work well if you have the mains Voltage to pull it off and the ambient temperature comfortably above 18C. So in pursuit of something more user friendly and keeping 1400W MAX power in mind, have opted for a slanted line with a slight bend, picture attached compared
to default Classic, 500 to 600 RPM of fan reduction seems to be a good amount.
DarksideFanCompare.JPG
DarksideFanCompare.JPG (72.87 KiB) Viewed 3291 times
If the drop is steeper and or fan RPM gets low enough the KL will need less power to continue roasting and this results in the power profile flattening out very early on in the roast or worse descending and baking the roast. On this profile as we roast into 2nd crack it is harder not to have some flattening of the power profile toward the end while keeping within the power limits (1400W) available from most peoples 240V - 242V supply.

This profile gives good early development, a compact and distinct first crack lasting a bit over 1 min which you can see very easy in the ROR. Early first snaps of 2nd crack Level 4.9 to 5.0 and Level 5.2 to 5.4 starting of rolling 2nd crack, 5.4 is as far as I have taken it with 17% weight loss. In the studio it could go all the way to 5.9 if one desired to push rolling 2nd crack further.....
Overall this gets to a rolling 2nd crack quite well with bare minimum baking at the end.

Level 5.4 espresso recipe: 89C brew temp, 17g dose / 23g out over 28 to 30 seconds its like drinking melted chocolate (85% cocoa). In milk its closer to a hot chocolate than coffee with quite surprising clean dark roast flavours.
DarkSide5.4.JPG
DarkSide5.4.JPG (108.93 KiB) Viewed 3291 times
DarkSide5.4.klog
(88.28 KiB) Downloaded 292 times
DarkSide.kpro
(2.41 KiB) Downloaded 340 times
Options.JPG
Options.JPG (41.95 KiB) Viewed 3287 times
Beanz

Re: The Power of the Dark Side

Post by Beanz »

This is an interesting development, Steve. You didn't mention a bean that suites this roast....or doesn't it matter?
I've had a much more enjoyable roast with Sumatra Mandheling RL3.5 on K-logic classic and want to try your 9Min Profile next. The Mandheling is a larger bean than the Columbia - Melky Chevaz... the journey continues
In the meantime, thankyou, once again, for such generous sharing of your handywork!!
Beanz

Re: The Power of the Dark Side

Post by Beanz »

Apologies, Steve, I see you have already made notes within the Profile. Thank you