USB contented!

Tell us about your experience, ask if you're unsure of something, let us know if you have a problem.
kaffelogic
Site Admin

Re: USB contented!

Post by kaffelogic »

Great suggestions. I have tried to keep the interface as simple as possible. I have avoided horizontal scrolling. I have made sure each button either does what its label suggests, or there is an explanation on the screen of what will happen when you press it.

However, seeing the log number for the current roast is a fundamental need and I agree with the comments that it should be just on the screen, or maybe just press the profile button to see it. I do quite like the suggestion to hide some of the profile name replacing the last characters with the log number. I will try out a few of the options and put them up for users to evaluate. This could take a while, so if you are interested make sure you have subscribed to the announcements forum https://kaffelogic.com/community/viewforum.php?f=9
Angela

Post by Angela »

kaffelogic wrote: Wed 03 Jun, 2020 10:06 am have avoided horizontal scrolling.
Quite right. Not user friendly at all. I hate them at airports, (in the olden days when we were allowed to go places), waiting for your bit of information you only half saw the first time come round again. Time flip is another annoying display technique. 10 seconds on display name and ten seconds on roast log number.
We'll be spoilt for choice won't we?
Beanz

Post by Beanz »

It will be good for others to chip in here too.

For my part, I'm developing a Word template for recording roasts as they happen, then entering that data into a spreadsheet. I enter the date, bean origin and type, roast profile and RL, FC, incase I miss it on the device, etc I don't need to know which profile I have chosen as I have deliberately selected it at start up and written it down. Because I might do, say, 2 - 3 batches at a time, using the same profile and bean, it is important to me to know the Log number I'm up to, rather than having the profile name.

When setting the screen to await that First Crack (there almost always seems to be a quiet loner a few seconds before the regular louder cracks start) all the screen info disappears other than the FC message. To monitor the time, I have a kitchen timer and press the start button to both devices at the start of roast. This helps me monitor timing whilst flicking between screens and attending to other matters.

So...perhaps the screen which displays the full file name could, instead, show LOG *123 (Per Ang's Rx) then the [profile short name] as seen on line 2 in Studio page [About this file]. eg L*123 BRAZIL U (where U = USB in situ and compatible/operational) That would give a 7 character limit for the abbreviated profile name which could be locked in to Studio

The first "Ready" screen could have added, on the second line, the voltage eg 234v 0w 0f -3.1 (where w is currently applied Watts and f is fan speed status) - Chris - I don't know what the -3.1 refers to - in the case of my screen I took these notes from? I mention wattage, as this seems to be the single biggest variable in maintaining profiles between different countries power supplies and in-house variations/loads.