Good lighter roast profile in city roast range ?

Tell us about your experience, ask if you're unsure of something, let us know if you have a problem.
BenN

Re: Good lighter roast profile in city roast range ?

Post by BenN »

Thanks for reply. I'll drop preheat temp on next chance.

And more to surprise on fault but thank you very much for caring your customer! I'll wait someone contact me. I guess you have contact from serial no.

Thanks.
Ben
BenN

Post by BenN »

Just a quick note; I have received a replacement unit today. Thanks! ( Old one will be sent tomorrow morning on the way to work. )

Just down 2 experiment batch with reduced preheat profile.

Log0012 is 120g in and had small amount of darker beans in mix. reduced input to 100g ( log0013 ) and machine follow profile better. Second batch has more uniform colour in result. Both are now in same storage bag in mix and I'll see how it develop in next few days.

PS. It's been very quiet in Kaffelogic community.... Anyone else experimenting or tips to share, new topic, thread? anyone?
Attachments
log0013.klog
Brazil 100g in 84.2g out
(62.63 KiB) Downloaded 268 times
log0012.klog
Brazil 120g in 99.7g out
(63.43 KiB) Downloaded 259 times
Ben
kaffelogic
Site Admin

Post by kaffelogic »

Hi Ben
Thanks for posting these profiles, it's good to see roasts now going well for you. Your log12 shows the roaster reaching its load limit, and your log13 indicates slightly better bean circulation: both from the more even roast and the better profile following. You have a couple of options now. You can proceed with the smaller load (100g) or you can make changes to your profile on the second tab "Fan profile curve" by making a small increase in the overall fan speed. If you do choose to change the fan speed make only small changes of 3-5% increase at a time because if you have too much fan speed the roaster will then start to be limited by available power.
BenN

Post by BenN »

Thanks, I'm happy with 100g road in two batch mixing up for now. :)
Now the biggest question is taste, i found little lack of sweetness in balance which I think it could be better. I need a bit of research for relation to roasting stage, length and effct. Then start adjusting more.

I also find lighter roast develop taste later than little more darker or default profile. It's quite interesting.
Ben
BenN

Post by BenN »

The mix of last 2 roast (12 and 13 , same profile ) in rest in the one way bulb bag for about week.
Took 15g and brewed with 230g of water with paper filter ( Karita Hasami Brewer ) with my normal routine.

It nicely strong, present acidity but not sour, little more developed body than earlier days. Bitterness is present and almost getting balanced. I think it will go well with warm milk as well as straight.

I will do some more experiment when I have chance but I see how this one develop ore slow down in next few days up to week or so. I think some candidate for my regular for strong filter coffee.

I also have one roasted with factory profile with level 3.0 which is resting for about 3 days now and see how it compared in around same resting time.
Ben
BenN

Post by BenN »

The batch roasted on 20/June has been brewed with pour over with Karita 3 hole (wedge shaped paper filter).
25g coffee and 450ml hot water. relatively slow brew. Still; extracting strong flavour.
Actually taste even better than 2 days ago less edge and rounded balance especially when cooled down.

I quite pleased with the result. It did need a little bit longer resting that expected (I woud say post development) but at the end It's all good result.
Ben
BenN

Post by BenN »

This time I have get temp up a bit in early stage. It resulted little more sweeter aroma. I'll try brewing in few days later.

I may go delete on point in curve and smooth up the mid point for next roast,. Still experimenting for taste.
Attachments
log0020.klog
Experiment curve 5
(69.35 KiB) Downloaded 250 times
Ben
BenN

Post by BenN »

This was quite refreshing great brew with Colombian Supremo roasted to level 3.3 with experiment profile no.5.
Beans were rested about week in coarted foil bag with one way bulb and zip lock seal.

Took 12g in medium coarse grind and using fine metal mesh cone. Pour 200g total of quite hot water slowly. resulted about 180g of coffee in cup.

Quite nice result - fruity and bit of punch in bitterness side as well. very close impression to the Ethiopian (Yug) I had from commercial roaster. ( not sure good thing or opposite from different type of beans... )

[Edit}
Brewed Bolivian roasted with same profile and nice clean brew. Different taste form Columbium but more depth.
However both have weakness in "sweet taste".

{Edit 2]
Brewed Mexican (level 3.3) and Ethiopian Sidiamo ( level 3.0).
I liked MEcxica, Ethiopian seems to be little too weak may be mistake in ratio on brewing, but better when it cool down.
Last edited by BenN on Thu 18 Jul, 2019 1:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ben
kaffelogic
Site Admin

Post by kaffelogic »

Very interesting result Ben. Convention would have you go steeper before first crack, and then flatten the curve. You have done the opposite. I think it's great to conduct experiments like this - sometimes we find that convention is not the best guide. I am very interested to hear how you go when you take that dip out of the curve and how it compares to your profile #5. Also I will roast some beans using your profile and let you know how they go in my Aeropress.
BenN

Post by BenN »

I'll report back when I got roasted with no,6 profile which removed the bump in middle.

PS. How we know or look which/what beans are fencer or not. Volume/Weight comparison? Wandering where to switch profile for firestater type vs classic type.

It will be great and interested in what you have to say., if you tried my profile or tweaked as a result.
I haven;t tried on espresso yet, but I found slight difficulty in dialling in with flat burr girder I have when it's really fresh. Pour over gets direct result for detail of taste so I'm sticking to it a bit...
Ben