Help for Light Roasts for Espresso

Tell us about your experience, ask if you're unsure of something, let us know if you have a problem.
binarymist

Re: Help for Light Roasts for Espresso

Post by binarymist »

fnq wrote: Fri 11 Dec, 2020 7:13 pm You could try Steve's Power profile at somewhere under 2.0 ( see what his roast level was) ... he was using a bean that had floral attributes.
Thanks @fnq

I assume that's the Power.kpro (from here: https://kaffelogic.com/community/viewto ... e&start=40) not the CDFP.kpro (from here: https://kaffelogic.com/community/viewto ... er+profile)?
fnq

Post by fnq »

That first one is indeed the one i was referring to. Cheers Darryl
nrdlnd

Post by nrdlnd »

Conventional wisdom says that high altitude (dense beans) should have more heat in the beginning. The interesting link above recommends contrary to that a slow start for Ethiopian naturals (high altitude). A slow start is usually recommended for less dense beans (low altitude).

Well I thought I should try with a slow start with an Ethiopian natural. I think there is actually only one published profile that has a really slow start and an extended Maillard reaction and that's Steady&Dark II. I have had very good results with this profile with low altitude beans before. So I loaded 100g of my remaining Shakiso Natural. I stopped the roast at DTR 21%. L became 4.1. The beans became medium dark (City+?). I tasted them as a straight double espresso after 6 hours rest. It was a very interesting taste! Very complex and maybe also floral. Nice balanced acidity. It will be very interesting to taste them the coming days!

If I've calculated correctly L=3.9 will give a DTR about 20% still in the recommended 20-25% span. This is not a very light roast but more "medium". I think it should work well for straight espresso. I don't have much left of the Shakiso Natural but I have some left of another natural Amaro Gayo and they will become about 100g together. I will try them at L=3.9 the next time.
binarymist

Post by binarymist »

Hi @nrdlnd

The altatude of the Shakiso appears to be similar to the Sidama Bule Hora I've been working with. I'm fairly new to roasting, I hadn't heard that
Conventional wisdom says that high altitude (dense beans) should have more heat in the beginning.
before. Interesting it seems that there's no right or wrong, I guess it's mostly down to personal preference.

Thanks for the tips, I'll try the "Steady and Dark II" profile at L=3.9.

So I guess if one wants to go lighter and the DTR is at 20% on this profile, one would have to increase the rate at which the heat climes? Thanks.
nrdlnd

Post by nrdlnd »

binarymist wrote: Sat 19 Dec, 2020 2:05 pm Hi @nrdlnd

The altatude of the Shakiso appears to be similar to the Sidama Bule Hora I've been working with. I'm fairly new to roasting, I hadn't heard that
Conventional wisdom says that high altitude (dense beans) should have more heat in the beginning.
before. Interesting it seems that there's no right or wrong, I guess it's mostly down to personal preference.

Thanks for the tips, I'll try the "Steady and Dark II" profile at L=3.9.

So I guess if one wants to go lighter and the DTR is at 20% on this profile, one would have to increase the rate at which the heat climes? Thanks.
Sorry I was a little ironic with my statement about "conventional wisdom". Scott Rao writes a lot about this and there are a lot of factors. The size of the bean. Small beans like the Ethiopians may need less heat in the beginning. Big beans needs more. Dense beans needs more and I think also beans with more moisture needs more. It depends also of the batch size and the roasting method. Steady&Dark II at L=3.9 will not give a light roast. It will at best be a medium roast but I think it could give a nice straight espresso. I do usually not like light roasts for espresso as they tend to be too acid for my taste. I do never mix my espresso with milk though!

I did some experiments with Steady&Dark II changing the heat rates but I never managed to get it right. Maybe you will have more luck and tell us about the results!
binarymist

Post by binarymist »

@nrdind how did you get on with "Steady and Dark II" at L=3.9?

I Tried it on the Ethiopia Sidama Bule Hora and yes it was quite dark. Charcoal and Chocolate tasting. If I tried it in a caffe, I'd definitely go back, but I expect more from home roasts. The Charcoal isn't to over powering, but not the taste I'm trying to get out of these beans. Once I get the software on my freshly installed computer I'll have a play with the Steady and Dark II.

It was DTR 20%. Is it worth going lighter even though the Dev time will be under the "recommended"?
nrdlnd

Post by nrdlnd »

I don't think it did work to well with the Ethiopian Shakiso. I think too dark and a little burned. Someone else have had good results with the core profile 1500-2000. https://kaffelogic.com/community/viewto ... 1527#p1527
I think you could also try with Firestarter https://kaffelogic.com/community/downlo ... .php?id=17 but I can't guarantee anything.

This far I have had very good results with Steady&Dark II with lower altitude beans both as single origin and in blends. My goal has been Medium Dark/Dark för pure espresso not light roasts as for me they tend to be too acidic and underdeveloped.