Log feedback please Wayne - fan calibration

Tell us about your experience, ask if you're unsure of something, let us know if you have a problem.
Squirt

Re: Log feedback please Wayne - fan calibration

Post by Squirt »

Yes. Only about 15m above.
DavidZ

Post by DavidZ »

Squirt wrote: Sun 11 Sep, 2022 1:42 pm Luckily I happen to have some Brazil Cerrado beans so just carried out the calibration instructions here:
https://kaffelogic.com/home/blog/calibr ... -fan-speed
This link no longer works. Does anyone know where I can find these instructions?
javafox

Post by javafox »

DavidZ wrote: Sun 23 Apr, 2023 8:50 am This link no longer works. Does anyone know where I can find these instructions?
Same here. Why have they removed these instructions?

:ugeek:
Geronimo

Post by Geronimo »

Here you go fellow roasters. Not sure if still valid for the new chaff collector/boost kit.

Cheers
G
Attachments
IMG_3781.jpeg
IMG_3781.jpeg (841 KiB) Viewed 6207 times
BenN

Post by BenN »

I have instruction almost exactly same, but it says 'use commercial grade coffee' instead Brazil, and 'kaffelogic classic' profile. temp and timing Vale is same. suggested range of calibrated value is 0.87 to 1.00.
again not sure with boost and new collector.

Whatever you do, MAKE SURE YOU HAVE ORIGINAL FACTORY VALUE RECORDED. And, you can go back to where you were when needed.

also here is how you check fan speed calibration value with out heater on. load 123g as you do full test.
I think they instructed with 123g is because of the base that profile is designed for.
I hope KL will repost that blog post with updated info someday soon.
fan cal.jpg
fan cal.jpg (456.44 KiB) Viewed 6201 times
Ben
konradhk00

Post by konradhk00 »

Hi guys,

I just got my KL 120V a week or so ago and have tried roasting a few times. So far, my roasts have been somewhat uneven and I've seen defects like tipping and some very minor scorching. From my reading of this forum, I've seen that fan calibrating might be an issue, but of course it could also be the beans and/or charge weight. My fan is currently calibrated at .98 and my charge weight has been 119g

When looking at my logs I'm seeing a really wobbly ROR and I'm not sure if this is expected either.

Overall, I'm having a hard time determining what's the best course of action to correct these things.

Here are some logs. I'm hoping someone might be willing to guide me. Thanks in advance!
image (4).png
image (4).png (247.72 KiB) Viewed 5542 times
image (3).png
image (3).png (249.28 KiB) Viewed 5542 times
log0004 second try.klog
(89.93 KiB) Downloaded 285 times
log0003 first try.klog
(96.32 KiB) Downloaded 294 times
JonFairhurst

Post by JonFairhurst »

The ROR wobbles don’t look too bad to me. The tracking of the profile is quite good, aside from the translation from preheat to PID control.

I would bump up the fan speed, either with the calibration or in the profiles that you have chosen to help reduce tipping.

Did you log dry and first crack times on those roasts?
konradhk00

Post by konradhk00 »

Thanks, Jon. I did not log those data points!

Is that something I can do on the machine on the fly? What is considered the dry time? Is this the moment the beans start turning yellow?

Thanks for the help. I really appreciate it. If there's a place I can go to get beginner tips like this, please let me know. I care not to bug anyone for such things if I can self-educate.
JonFairhurst

Post by JonFairhurst »

Happy to help.

For Dry Time, I watch for when there are no more green beans. It’s a bit subjective, but I find that it’s good to be patient. I often keep waiting, finally decide it’s time, record the temperature manually, and by the time I look back at the beans, they have started browning quickly.

For first crack, I’m also patient. I want at least three cracks close together, not just random cracks. You can record it by pressing Menu (button 5) then Play (button 3.)

Next is the Drop. For roasts with a new bean, I start a Level 5.9 (by pressing + many times.) After recording first crack in the machine, it will show the percentage for the Development Time. I generally stop a first roast at 20% as a default. When it hits the target, press Play (button 3) Minus (button 1).

After cooldown, download the log file, enter the Dry temperature ( and the software will show you the percentage for Dry, Browning, and Development times. You will also see what Level you had stopped at.

All of these times, temperatures, and percentages give you important information about the bean and roast. If the coffee is roasted unevenly, one or more phases was probably too hot. If the result is even but boring and dull, the roast might have been too slow.

Best wishes!
Geronimo

Post by Geronimo »

konradhk00 wrote: Wed 07 Jun, 2023 2:06 am Hi guys,

When looking at my logs I'm seeing a really wobbly ROR and I'm not sure if this is expected either.

image (4).pngimage (3).pnglog0004 second try.kloglog0003 first try.klog
Hi

Here is my roast curves for a Kenya AB. Note my curve displayed for RoR has a multiplier applied. If you change yours like mine. I think you will find yours is quite different. There is probably a simple explanation that someone can come up with.

Cheers
G
Attachments
IMG_4332.jpeg
IMG_4332.jpeg (5.25 MiB) Viewed 5364 times
1500-2000 Rest - Kenya AB.jpeg
1500-2000 Rest - Kenya AB.jpeg (72.97 KiB) Viewed 5364 times