Good lighter roast profile in city roast range ?

Tell us about your experience, ask if you're unsure of something, let us know if you have a problem.
Angela

Re: Good lighter roast profile in city roast range ?

Post by Angela »

Cupping these Yirgachegffes on Steves Ninja9 was less special than I was hoping.

The first from above, my #127 was a sharp, very acid muted floral and quite bitter. Aroma was muted.
#128 was similar to 127, slightly more defined, a little cleaner floral with less acid. Still lacking in aroma over the cup.

What I think I can take away from Steve's attempts is that the short profile time is important. Anyone following my on/off saga of the elusive Yirgacheffe roast will know I think this image is important.
test.jpg
test.jpg (270.94 KiB) Viewed 6967 times
I'd been working around the 9:30 to 10:00 minute end roast; that is before most volatiles are driven off. Cutting back to 8:00 minutes or under is a useful insight - thanks Steve. At under 8 minutes very little other than formic acid and methanol will have left the roast. And it may be that the methanol and the formic acid are playing a larger part in the taste than I had realised.

All received wisdom is that Ethiopian beans (Yirgacheffes included) like a gradual rise with drying and Maillard roughly equal, with a short development under 1:30. The search continues...
Sam.law

Post by Sam.law »

This turned out to be quite exciting, to be able to download others profiles and load them onto my roaster.

So I did 3 roasts on this past Saturday (3x 100g Ethiopian Koechere Boji natural), using Ben's 004 (2.4) and 007 (2.4) profile, and Steve's Ninja9 (2.7) at the recommended roast level (in bracket). In restrospect, I should've also thrown my hat into the ring :lol: and put my own roast profile to test (but I ran out of the beans).

Looking at the graphs after roasting, I noticed my temperature curves were a bit more jaggy than usual in this round, then I realized I did this roast in the balcony (instead of under the kitchen vent). Note to self to not do that again.

Cupped them blind 48+ hours later.

Interestingly, the roast from Ben004 tasted noticeably more developed (hints of over roasted with bitter finish). Looking at the graph have me scratching my head why is this the case. The Ben007 was sweetest among the three with good body, but flavour/aroma is more muted compared to Ninja9. Ninja9 cup has a touch more aromatics, but was more aggressive on the acidity, and with less sweetness. I wasn't sure if it's because the beans are still too young, or it's this new beans that I am roasting, I didn't feel any of the roasts were particularly aromatic (as I would expect from Ethiopians). Will be interesting to see how these develop over the coming days.

Ninja9.jpg
Ninja9.jpg (90.18 KiB) Viewed 6955 times
Ben004a.jpg
Ben004a.jpg (96.98 KiB) Viewed 6955 times
Ben007.jpg
Ben007.jpg (93.84 KiB) Viewed 6955 times
Exported them onto Artisan (hopefully the process could be easier in future version) and compared using the roast ranking feature:
Artisan profile compare.jpg
Artisan profile compare.jpg (188.94 KiB) Viewed 6955 times
Angela

Post by Angela »

Ben, The area under the profile curve gives some measure of the energy given to the beans.

Out of the three you tried I would say Ben's 004, which you found the best taste, has the smallest area - thus least energy input.

Area under the curve can be reduced by a flatter profile and shorter time. Intéressant n'est-ce pas?
BenN

Post by BenN »

I haven't got too much time comparing the type just yet but this is last one I did with 004a.
It may be too much on DTR but it was aromatic just out of roaster. It end up 2.9 when I was looking at DTR to 24% but I think it could stop around 22% ( may be next time and I still need to play and find best point - for my liking)

This is Yigarcheffe ( washed) from The Coffee Worksop. 100g in and 86g out
004a L2.9.png
004a L2.9.png (66.92 KiB) Viewed 6945 times
I see quite different FC point from yours.

I'll brew this sometime soon.
I recall 007 to make for little more body while I was changing them for Brazil, Honduras and Bolivian mainly.

Thanks Sam for very informative and great observation and analysis!

As you find more developed It may be a fan speed curve reflecting to the result.
It imputing more air speed in mid way - inherited from FireStarter. ( May be make it bit less? ) Anyway, Me too bit puzzled from it went bit over with level 2.4 and DTR indicated form your last graph.
Last edited by BenN on Tue 24 Sep, 2019 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ben
Geronimo

Post by Geronimo »

Hi

I’m following this with interest, and is blowing me away with what you are doing. Most of which is going over my head.

I’m not sure if this is the actual case but at about 8’ 30” there is what looks like an endothermic “flick”? If it is then would that have some effect on taste/flavour?

G
BenN

Post by BenN »

Just brewed last Yirgacheffe batch with 004a profile with delter press with 20g / 300ml out recipe.
Fresh ground had quite strong aroma, good body , nice level of acidity but i see slight bitterness.
Brewing technique also take quite effect but level 2.9 is bit too deep, i think.

Overall, may not be spectacular but nice to drink.
Geronimo wrote: Tue 24 Sep, 2019 8:07 am
I’m not sure if this is the actual case but at about 8’ 30” there is what looks like an endothermic “flick”? If it is then would that have some effect on taste/flavour?
Hi Geronimo, i see that on the log now, certainly it will affect taste and end up higher temp on same target time. i may need to play negative boost. 8:30 is around end of FC on that particular roast.
Ben
Steve

Post by Steve »

Sam.law wrote: Mon 23 Sep, 2019 10:17 pm

So I did 3 roasts on this past Saturday........
Hey Sam nice ccomparison!
Out of interest how did you like the hoffs / SM roasts?

I thought the development on C, D, E was excellent for light roast. Quite enjoyed B for something slightly more laid back, lower acidity and really pleasant sweetness / mouthfeel.
A, was kind of weird / confusing, a bit tea like.
I would like to filter roast like C, D, E and the flavour profile of B with a little more development for espresso.

Im finding that modified Ninja profile a bit thin, some hints of underdevelopment, still has pretty good aromatics, i think the finish is too quick for proper development, probably get away with it on naturals more so.

Moving foward im going to be focusing more on the straighter profiles / decline ROR like in my drum replicating thread and slowing down more approaching and through first crack, see how low ROR the nano can go? Before it starts getting baked / flat.
Sam.law

Post by Sam.law »

Steve wrote: Tue 24 Sep, 2019 12:45 pm
Out of interest how did you like the hoffs / SM roasts?

I thought the development on C, D, E was excellent for light roast. Quite enjoyed B for something slightly more laid back, lower acidity and really pleasant sweetness / mouthfeel.
A, was kind of weird / confusing, a bit tea like.
I would like to filter roast like C, D, E and the flavour profile of B with a little more development for espresso.
Hey Steve!

Unfortunately we missed out on the opportunity to cup hoff's coffee. Luca was planning to have the cupping at his place, but as luck would have it the coffee was delivered to a wrong parcel locker and couldn't make it in time. Sounds like we've missed out on some delicious coffees. :(
Steve wrote: Tue 24 Sep, 2019 12:45 pmMoving foward im going to be focusing more on the straighter profiles / decline ROR like in my drum replicating thread and slowing down more approaching and through first crack, see how low ROR the nano can go? Before it starts getting baked / flat.
That sounds like a good plan. I'm still working out what works best for Nano 7 (but pretty decent results so far). I've been roasting different beans...probably not the most strategic approach when learning on a new roaster...so I've just ordered some more greens and gonna stick with one coffee for a while.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Latest efforts for a sweet rounded light roast.
Using similar approach as the drum roast thread, this profile is an overall shorter version.
Really enjoying these cups so far, sweet, rounded and are still quite light.
Brewing V60, Clever dripper and espresso. I would like slight more development for espresso and perhaps 15 sec less for filter say on the Yirg for example.
Overall I have not enjoyed my roasted coffee this much from memory (memory is usually wrong :D ).
I have tried several different beans using these profiles and they all seem to behave in a much more consistent manner throughout the roast.
The advice of not mucking around with the roast 45 sec either side of first crack seems to hold true with regards to using the boost functions on the Nano. I think a 5 sec corner is not a problem.

All my light roasts are 100g and using 120g for the med to dark roasts / drum roast comparisons.
Geisha first crack was actually at 8 min but I had bread dough on my hands so could not press buttons :lol:
Yirg.jpg
Yirg.jpg (43.12 KiB) Viewed 6897 times
Yirg.klog
(64.5 KiB) Downloaded 334 times
Guji.klog
(62.82 KiB) Downloaded 306 times
Geisha.klog
(62.81 KiB) Downloaded 307 times
9to10min.kpro
(1.85 KiB) Downloaded 336 times
BenN

Post by BenN »

Steve wrote: Wed 02 Oct, 2019 2:38 pm Latest efforts for a sweet rounded light roast.
Using similar approach as the drum roast thread, this profile is an overall shorter version.
Really enjoying these cups so far, sweet, rounded and are still quite light.
Brewing V60, Clever dripper and espresso. I would like slight more development for espresso and perhaps 15 sec less for filter say on the Yirg for example.
Overall I have not enjoyed my roasted coffee this much from memory (memory is usually wrong :D ).
I have tried several different beans using these profiles and they all seem to behave in a much more consistent manner throughout the roast.
The advice of not mucking around with the roast 45 sec either side of first crack seems to hold true with regards to using the boost functions on the Nano. I think a 5 sec corner is not a problem.

All my light roasts are 100g and using 120g for the med to dark roasts / drum roast comparisons.
Geisha first crack was actually at 8 min but I had bread dough on my hands so could not press buttons :lol:
Sounds very good, Steve. I'd differently like to try this.

How you find compare to the your 11minMed profile for espresso? May be some with more common blend or variety like Brazil?
Ben