Good lighter roast profile in city roast range ?

Tell us about your experience, ask if you're unsure of something, let us know if you have a problem.
BenN

Re: Good lighter roast profile in city roast range ?

Post by BenN »

Careful examination of last Brazil Royale roast with my 007f profile...

100g in and it has some rather bit blackened beans in resulted mix.
Looked closer and most of them has chaff still on and those get very dark almost black colour, scraping it reviles good roasted beans just like others in mix.

Small amount of beans has tip get black colour., Surprisingly tasting was not bad result after certain rest time.
When I put 100g in to roaster, it sit just touching temp prove. although I can see the whole prove from above.

Now I'm just wondering if this need to be more energy into the drying phase and ease up at rest?
Or possibly just little more fan speed in drying phase to entourage chaff to be separated earlier - just guessing this and no evidence it will happen so just thinking loud here. ?
Ben
kaffelogic
Site Admin

Post by kaffelogic »

Ben, I'm only guessing here, but I think that air speed won't make much difference to chaff retention. I'm thinking that it could be related to bean ripeness, like other fruit the ease of removing the skin depends on how ripe the fruit is.

The question of tipping is different and I think slower at the start is probably the way to go, so more air and a flatter curve leading up to FC. I would be interested to hear the results of your experiments. Some beans are naturally quite variable so maybe there is only so much you can do with the particular bean.
Chris
BenN

Post by BenN »

Tried two different profile.
both looks simler result on colour and uniformity.
Still have mix of very small amount of black looking ones and most of them are charred chaff that can peal off by nail. Also I see more smoke in early stage than other variety,
Brazil Culdul Royale - Ninja Turtle
Brazil Culdul Royale - Ninja Turtle
NT.png (46.58 KiB) Viewed 3558 times
Brazil Culdul Royale - my 007F ( mid-Light)
Brazil Culdul Royale - my 007F ( mid-Light)
7F.png (45.08 KiB) Viewed 3558 times
I have just run out this Royale but will be back to Cerrado Altyo Camelo whaih previously give me a good result.

BTW, taste wasn't bad with last batch even there is small amount of darker looking one in mix,
Ben
BenN

Post by BenN »

Ethiopian Sidamo 100g for both below log roasted to level 2,0 218.3ish end temp.

I'm keep coming back to 004 revision:G whcih is log230 for this beans. Depend on ambient condition, I do go level 1.,6 to 2.3 ish but most of time 2.0 on this profile setting.
I'm doing thios quite sometime with this so may be time for change and comparison...
log0230.png
log0230.png (45.57 KiB) Viewed 2721 times

I tried but of bump in early drying stage but smoother curve. I somewhat still prefer the first one. Not exactly professional level of tasting comparison, but log 230 had bit more balance. If want to have stronger acidity I;ll go for log231 (004 revision:H). Good side it follow curve extremely well. Interesting to see how it develop after few days rest.
log0231.png
log0231.png (45.83 KiB) Viewed 2721 times
Attachments
log0231.klog
004H
(81.06 KiB) Downloaded 227 times
log0230.klog
004G
(81.4 KiB) Downloaded 236 times
Ben