Zero in on overall roast development

Tell us about your experience, ask if you're unsure of something, let us know if you have a problem.
Steve

Zero in on overall roast development

Post by Steve »

Another interesting little experiment.

All roasts were using a specialty grade Kenyan.

8 min V2 is my latest light roast profile.
V3 has one specific change made to how the roast starts by removing only the 2nd control point.This results in significantly lower preheat power needed. Some adjustment of the smoothing for the rest of the control points was needed from the reactions of removing 2nd control point.

Blind cupping with the "Altitude 1500 – 2000" profile at recommended 1.2 for light roast / pour over and some Mountain Air roasters from USA for contrast / control (excellent example air roast).

V2 = good upfront sweetness, vibrant clear acidity, clean finish
V3 = lacking sweetness, a bit flat, acidity still has some underdeveloped vegetal quality to it. Finish is a bit soupy.
Altitude 1500 – 2000 = robust beefy aroma, very flat savoury roast beef taste, persistent bitter aftertaste. For my tastes there is definitely some baking going on here and it does not do the Kenyan coffee justice.

MtnAir = Very sweet, vibrant / bright, juicy, clean finish.

So if my roast tastes like it needs more development I will be looking at tweaking how hard the starting jump is and subsequent preheat power needed.

From repeated cuppings of this and the "Balance" profile it does seem like the old internet wisdom of air roasts should take 8 - 12 mins might have some truth to it.

Anyway I will be taking a break from profile development / cupping for a while and just enjoy some tasty cups of a morning.

Cheers
8minV2.JPG
8minV2.JPG (98.95 KiB) Viewed 2677 times
8minV3.JPG
8minV3.JPG (99.54 KiB) Viewed 2677 times
Altitude1500-2000.JPG
Altitude1500-2000.JPG (102.13 KiB) Viewed 2677 times
8minV2.kpro
(2.17 KiB) Downloaded 342 times
8minV3.kpro
(2.08 KiB) Downloaded 318 times