Bean Grinders

Tell us about your experience, ask if you're unsure of something, let us know if you have a problem.
Dane

Bean Grinders

Post by Dane »

Quality grinds in, quality coffee out!

What bean grinders are you using and any suggestions based on your personal experience?

I'm currently using a built-in Breville Espresso conical burr grinder, and looking for a stand-alone unit without applying for a home-loan to purchase it . (Although, if anyone has a spare Mazzer lying around, I'll happily remove that heavy burden from you :D)

My current grind seems even, and I've not experienced any major concerns but I am looking to see what options are out there and perhaps a little more user friendly.
kaffelogic
Site Admin

Re: Bean Grinders

Post by kaffelogic »

Beanz

Post by Beanz »

Great suggestion by Kaffelogic.

Depends on your price point, whether noise is an issue, grind retention, ease and speed of adjustment etc

I have the Baratza Sette 270Wi. It is reasonably noisy, but given it does fluffy grinds in about 5 or so seconds, it doesn't tend to bother our household. Although the hopper holds around 250gm, I single dose to reduce the need for grind adjustments each day.
It has built in firmware updatable, Acaia scales and almost no retention. For how I use it, probably the 270 would have been fine. If you are on this site then you are likely using fresh roasted coffee. This is relevant as the Sette can have problems with spraying grind around due to static with older commercial blends. eg the Lavazza Super Crema

Shifting up a price point is the Eureka Mignon Specialita [flat vs conical burrs], and then on up to the Niche Zero.

Dane, you're right to not rush in and to do your research for how you are going to use the machine. The ones I have mentioned are all good machines. All the best..
GaryM

Post by GaryM »

Niche Zero. Moving from a Super Jolly to this has been a revelation. Single dosing has completely removed any wastage, allowed easy change from one bean to another, and easy change from espresso to pour over etc and back. Fantastic.
BenN

Post by BenN »

I have Mignon Speciallita for espresso.
Very small retention, so I'm mostly using single dose. With full hopper, there is more range to adjust nicely. Will small amount of beans I need to go finer setting for example.

Also have Helor 101 hand grinder for both soft brew and espresso/
I find hand grinder very convenient for small number of cup. Easy to adjust and tweak etc and this is my travel grinder as well.

Once I have attenuate to get Niche but told they wont ship to NZ at the time because of certification of electrics. . Not sure now tho.
Ben
GaryM

Post by GaryM »

Ben I bought mine and had it addressed to my Youshop address in the UK. Electrical standards that apply in the UK are also applicable here. It is distributed in Australia too and likewise the standards match ours.
BenN

Post by BenN »

GaryM wrote: Wed 20 May, 2020 11:12 pm Ben I bought mine and had it addressed to my Youshop address in the UK. Electrical standards that apply in the UK are also applicable here. It is distributed in Australia too and likewise the standards match ours.
Cool, Thanks Gary!

I asked the founder when they start producing US and OZ model.

OZ one will be a preferred one as I May not need to change power lug but otherwise your suggested Youshop one will be great. May be some time in future when I git my fund backed up.
Ben
Angela

Post by Angela »

+1 for the Niche Zero. For single dosing home use there is no competition.
Beanz

Post by Beanz »

Dane, thanks for raising the topic.

Gary, Ben and Ang, thanks for posting your observations here, too. They have helped push me over the line to order a Niche Zero. (White, AU, Indiegogo, August delivery date!)

Because I'm roasting small batches, 200 - 300gm for about 4 - 5 days supply AND getting in the odd commercial fresh roasted blends, I'm having to change the grind regularly AND always doing single dosing. My Baratza Sette 270Wi has Acaia scales and is always trying to, cleverly, guess the time to stop grinding to achieve the 18gm I use. It will then, typically, over or under dose. This model is perfect for those who stick with one blend/roast and fill the hopper. It's otherwise, very quick (circa 5/6 seconds for 18gms) and accurate, though a little noisy.

I was weighing between Specialita and NZ and Ben's and Ang's comments had me tip to NZ. Thank you all
BenN

Post by BenN »

Beanz,

I think it is good move especially if you back and forth the setting a bit.
Let me know how it geos when you got it. ;)

I'm also quite fan for hand grinding and looked at HG-1 some stage but bit pricey... Big burr tho.
Ben