Filter-Origin Profile

Start a new topic for a new roast profile. Reply to an existing topic to enter your comments on the profile, or to attach minor variants.
Kaelin

Filter-Origin Profile

Post by Kaelin »

Hey everyone,

First post here in the community but been reading your useful posts over the past few months after getting my Nano. Finally contributing a profile here for you to try out which is designed for lighter filter roasts to highlight the origin character of a coffee.

Some background on me: I used to own a roastery in Canada and started with a Diedrich IR12 roaster which was then replaced by a Loring Kestrel. We roasted on a small drum style electric sample roaster for a number of years and then over the final few years of my ownership on a Ikawa.
Much of our focus was on direct relationships and I was lucky enough to travel to Costa Rica, Honduras and Brazil to source some amazing coffees. I've been living in NZ for the last year and half but not working in coffee anymore. We have a Technivorm at home but no espresso equipment so and was finding it hard to source good fresh filter roasts locally so I was really happy to find the Kaffelogic to start roasting at home again.

About the profile:
- Is optimized for a light roast at 1.2 roast level (215.6c) and min 20% DTR but could be pushed for longer DTR and higher end temp
- Overall shorter roast and pushes more heat earlier into the bean than I've seen on other profiles to get energy into the bean with gradual decline of ROR. Cupped it blind against other profiles and kept coming back to this as my favourite for allowing origin character to shine with nice balance of acidity and sweetness.
- suitable for lower mains power (some profiles shared by others would give me warnings at home)
- I have had success with beans of different origins and altitudes with this profile (Brazil and Colombia).

Profile attached below but here is a log of a roast of Melky Chavez beans I did yesterday. Not too concerned by the profile going slightly above the profile line coming into first crack:
log0001.png
log0001.png (78.65 KiB) Viewed 10322 times
Attachments
Filter Origin.kpro
(2.44 KiB) Downloaded 715 times
Howard W

Re: Filter-Origin Profile

Post by Howard W »

Thank you Kaelin! Will give it a try. Have you used this profile for any Kenyan before?
Kaelin

Post by Kaelin »

Howard W wrote: Mon 22 Jun, 2020 1:31 pm Thank you Kaelin! Will give it a try. Have you used this profile for any Kenyan before?
Hey Howard, I haven't used it on a Kenyan yet as I only have Brazilian and Colombian beans at home these days. Given their generally larger size and high density you could try the original profile and maybe play with increasing target temps overall especially if you have available voltage to do so.
Cheers
Howard W

Post by Howard W »

Thank you.

Been experimenting with various profiles with a Kenyan and came to the conclusion that to obtain the Nordic style filter roast I prefer to drink, the roasting time has to be drastically reduced from the recommended levels. The last roast using a modified 1500-2000 GTTT profile seemed promising, but after first crack the temp kept bumping off above the set temp curve, which I guess may be due to the exothermic heat, and the beans ended up a little bit darker than I would like. Will try a minus 1 zone boost for 10 seconds soon after first crack, plus shorten the roast time just a bit (stopped the roast at 8:00 for the last roast, which felt a tad short to me but DTR was already 20%). I read that dense beans absorb heat readily but I’m still clueless how it translates into roasting practice.
Howard W

Post by Howard W »

Glad to report that a slightly modified version of Wayne's 1500-2000 RTD (I changed some of the zone boosts to better match the bean's FC) did the trick. Citrusy and sweet, except for a slight vegetal finish when cooled.
Screenshot (83).png
Screenshot (83).png (99.81 KiB) Viewed 10244 times
WhatsApp Image 2020-06-26 at 3.17.05 PM.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2020-06-26 at 3.17.05 PM.jpeg (215.08 KiB) Viewed 10244 times
Kaelin

Post by Kaelin »

Howard W wrote: Fri 26 Jun, 2020 7:28 pm Glad to report that a slightly modified version of Wayne's 1500-2000 RTD (I changed some of the zone boosts to better match the bean's FC) did the trick. Citrusy and sweet, except for a slight vegetal finish when cooled.
Glad you've had more success with your Kenyan beans. If you'd be willing to post Wayne's modified profile here I'd love to give it a try with some of my beans.

I guess I should have mentioned in my first post that the profile I posted is designed for a lighter roast that would best be consumed black, especially for brighter coffees with more acidity such as your Kenyan...I just assume that everyone likes their coffee black too!

I'll try and dig up some notes I have from a roasting course I did with Scott Rao a few years ago to see if they may be applicable to methods with the Nano...I'm trying to remember some tips he had for preventing crash and flick etc during first crack. However, I think his theories/methods are more applicable to drum style roasters and not so sure how they would apply to air/convective style roasters. I asked him specifically about how his method would apply to our Loring roaster (I don't think he is a fan of them) and he said that the Loring is different since it is a modified drum style roaster but primarily using convective heat in a pressurized drum. Anyhow I'll see if there is anything I can find that might be of use.
Matt S

Post by Matt S »

Hi Kaelin

Great work on this profile and thanks for sharing! I am a long time home roaster but new to the Kaffelogic. I have given your profile a go with four different beans now: Ethiopia, Honduras, Brazil, and Columbia. I found I don’t have enough power for the recent profiles that have been posted Steve, so can’t speak to a comparison with his 9MinFilter profile (I might have to try tweaking that profile so that my available power doesn’t max out), but I have tried roasting with some of the other available profiles using the recommended levels for filter (where those have been included), and cupped them alongside this profile.

My aim was to find a profile to use for filter coffee (black, brewed on v60). I was looking for a transparent light roast that would highlight origin flavours, but avoid undeveloped notes, or ‘roasty’ flavours.

I have so far found this profile has gotten me the closest to that goal. It has produced a very enjoyable filter coffee for all the beans that I have tried it with so far. While the coffee produced on the other profiles has been enjoyable I have found it more suited to espresso than filter, at levels that have been recommended for filter in the profile about sections (at least for my tastes).
Howard W

Post by Howard W »

Hey Kaelin, I didn't change Wayne's temp / fan curves but only modified the zone boosts (the original file can be found here: https://kaffelogic.com/community/downlo ... php?id=566), by deleting zones 2 and 3 and kept the zone 1 boost from 2:21 to 5:45 and also raised the minimum ROR to 3.5 as having the default at 2.6 seemed to lead to a more severe ROR dip during first crack.
Kaelin

Post by Kaelin »

msakaris wrote: Sat 27 Jun, 2020 4:17 pm It has produced a very enjoyable filter coffee for all the beans that I have tried it with so far. While the coffee produced on the other profiles has been enjoyable I have found it more suited to espresso than filter, at levels that have been recommended for filter in the profile about sections (at least for my tastes).
Glad you've had good results for filter with it. At our roastery we had different approaches to espresso and filter roasts. Longer overall roasts for espresso and longer development times and shorter roasts and shorter development for filter roasts. I may experiment more with the profile I posted including trying shorter DTR down to 18% or lower.
Cheers
kidleethal

Post by kidleethal »

Thanks for the great profile.

I used it to roast some Ethiopian Yirgacheffe Biloya a few days ago and have been brewing it with a cloth pourover filter.

Great fruity flavours, sweetness and juiciness in the cup!