3.1.1 Linux feedback

Tell us about your experience, ask if you're unsure of something, let us know if you have a problem.
Angela

3.1.1 Linux feedback

Post by Angela »

Hi; your friendly neighbourhood Linux user here.

Well, what I can tell you is your dpkg files have never worked using dpkg -i <filename>. To get round this, in the past, I've extracted the payload archive from within your pkg files.

But now you've added instructions, that is Instructions. let me deal with those first.

Code: Select all

python2 pip -m  install pyudev
python2: can't open file 'pip': [Errno 2] No such file or directory
is the first fail.

You can get round this by:-

sudo apt install python-pip
Note:-

python2 pip -m install pyudev
still fails but

pip   install pyudev
works

Then the instructions sort of throw a wobbly; I think they are trying to create a desktop icon as starter for the Profile Management Studio program. But there is no reference to installing the larger studio software.

When I try:-

sudo dpkg -i 'Kaffelogic Profile Management Studio 3.1.1.pkg'
I get the usual

dpkg-deb: error: 'Kaffelogic Profile Management Studio 3.1.1.pkg' is not a Debian format archive
dpkg: error processing archive Kaffelogic Profile Management Studio 3.1.1.pkg (--install):
 dpkg-deb --control subprocess returned error exit status 2
Errors were encountered while processing:
 Kaffelogic Profile Management Studio 3.1.1.pkg
But it gets worse because I cannot even extract 'payload' (Kaffelogic Profile management Studio), as I normally would, but get 'An error occurred extracting the files' notification.

So all in all this iteration seems to be uninstallable.

And please may I ask you to respect Linux' naming protocol. Leaving spaces in a file or archive name in Linux is a nuisance. It needs each space to 'escaped' with a \ on the command line or enclosed in quotes. Generally, I think it is recommended to use capitalizing the first letter of a new word in a filename, as in thisIsAFileName.txt or underscore; this_is_a _file_name.txt.
kaffelogic
Site Admin

Re: 3.1.1 Linux feedback

Post by kaffelogic »

Thanks for your efforts and feedback - your patience is appreciated.
The file 'Kaffelogic Profile Management Studio 3.1.1.pkg' is the OSX install file. You will need 'Kaffelogic Profile Management Studio 3.1.1.tar.gz'.

I can put in some time to improve the whole process, but it would be good to confirm that it even works, so if you don't mind persisting until you get a functioning install that would be great.
Angela

Post by Angela »

Wait! OSX? That still exists? :o

OK my faux pas. I see a .pkg and am so used to doing the dpkg install. I'll try try with the tar and gunzipped file later. Surprised I was able to use the payload contents though in earlier releases.

May I suggest that you add osx, win or linux to the release name to avoid confusion. It's not helped by the way Google Drive cuts off the file names in shows in the default view in the Kaffelogic repository.

The 'install' for the desktop icon did nothing other than putting a desktop file in the same working folder.
kaffelogic
Site Admin

Post by kaffelogic »

I have updated the Linux instructions in the beta folder to reflect suggestions and findings to date
Angela

Post by Angela »

With so much changing let me just deal with the native code without the runtimes.

This is only about 3.1.1 but it applies to 3.1.2 as I just quickly tried the 'with runtimes' version of that and it still won't screen draw properly, to update the click and drag.

To get 3.1.1 running native I needed to

pip install numpy
I also installed various other dev files do get some feedback on what's going on so now have:-

$ python2 Kaffelogic\ Profile\ Management\ Studio.py 

Error in sys.excepthook:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "Kaffelogic Profile Management Studio.py", line 4066, in MyExceptionHook
    message = enhancedMessageDialog(frame)
NameError: global name 'frame' is not defined

Original exception was:
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/wx-3.0-gtk3/wx/lib/plot.py", line 1525, in OnSize
    self._Draw(graphics, xSpec, ySpec)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/wx-3.0-gtk3/wx/lib/plot.py", line 1201, in _Draw
    if xAxis == None or yAxis == None:
ValueError: The truth value of an array with more than one element is ambiguous. Use a.any() or a.all()

(Kaffelogic Profile Management Studio.py:11973): Gtk-CRITICAL **: 14:36:38.393: gtk_widget_set_size_request: assertion 'width >= -1' failed

(Kaffelogic Profile Management Studio.py:11973): Gtk-CRITICAL **: 14:36:38.393: gtk_widget_set_size_request: assertion 'width >= -1' failed

(Kaffelogic Profile Management Studio.py:11973): Gtk-CRITICAL **: 14:36:38.394: gtk_widget_set_size_request: assertion 'width >= -1' failed
Error in sys.excepthook:

Original exception was:
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/wx-3.0-gtk3/wx/lib/plot.py", line 1525, in OnSize
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/wx-3.0-gtk3/wx/lib/plot.py", line 1201, in _Draw
ValueError: The truth value of an array with more than one element is ambiguous. Use a.any() or a.all()

(Kaffelogic Profile Management Studio.py:11973): Gtk-CRITICAL **: 14:36:38.395: gtk_widget_set_size_request: assertion 'width >= -1' failed

(Kaffelogic Profile Management Studio.py:11973): Gtk-CRITICAL **: 14:36:38.395: gtk_widget_set_size_request: assertion 'width >= -1' failed

Error in sys.excepthook:

Original exception was:
Error in sys.excepthook:

Original exception was:
Error in sys.excepthook:

Original exception was:
Error in sys.excepthook:

Original exception was:

which is more helpful than

(Kaffelogic Profile Management Studio 3.1:12308): Gtk-CRITICAL **: 14:57:11.022: gtk_widget_set_size_request: assertion 'width >= -1' failed
Since the errors were in wxPython and seeing your note at the top of the KLMS code I tried installing the latest wxPython with

pip install wxPython==4.0.6
but it seems the development gap is too large as the new library rejected some of the method calls made to it as being unavailable. So I removed that (it took ages to compile) and am back with the disto's 3.0.2.0 version

I'd be interested to know which Linux distro you are using; if we are both using the same libraries then it should work as well for me as it does you.
kaffelogic
Site Admin

Post by kaffelogic »

Seems odd, but turns out the numpy version needs to be a specific, old version. I'll ferret out the details of which version when I get back to my Linux machine and let you know.
kaffelogic
Site Admin

Post by kaffelogic »

The magic command is
pip install numpy==1.8.1
You don't need to uninstall anything, just run that command. I have confirmed that I get the same error as you with the latest numpy, and that this command fixes it. My attempts at moving everything to the latest libraries were met with the discovery that wxPython 3.0.2.0 is much more stable than wxPython 4, at least in the graphing section, so at present migration is fraught.
Angela

Post by Angela »

That's good to know about numpy; i'd been trying to solve the 'xAxis == None' problem in wx's plot.py.

just installed numpy 1.8.1 and its not right yet; when I drag a point and switch focus away from KLPS or change tab, the draw on screen happens.

With the older numpy I don't have the debug files so all I get now are loads of unhelpful:-

(Kaffelogic Profile Management Studio.py:9421): Gtk-CRITICAL **: 08:33:33.162: gtk_widget_set_size_request: assertion 'width >= -1' failed with various line numbers referenced.

Regarding KLPS can you add an 'Integrated' or 'original' into the name?

Then the acronym would be much more fun- either KLIPS or KLOPS! Or KLAPS, even?
kaffelogic
Site Admin

Post by kaffelogic »

Could be version yet again.
Here's a wee exploration:

$ dpkg -s python2.7 | grep Version
Version: 2.7.15-4ubuntu4~18.04
$ dpkg -s python-pip | grep Version
Version: 9.0.1-2.3~ubuntu1.18.04.1
$ dpkg -s python-wxgtk3.0 | grep Version
Version: 3.0.2.0+dfsg-7
$ dpkg -s libgtk-3-bin | grep Version
Version: 3.22.30-1ubuntu3

It might be the last in the list that is the source of the issue.
Angela

Post by Angela »

My usual machine has Ubuntu 19.04

dpkg -s python2.7 | grep Version
Version: 2.7.16-2
dpkg -s python-pip | grep Version
Version: 18.1-5
dpkg -s python-wxgtk3.0 | grep Version
Version: 3.0.2.0+dfsg-8
dpkg -s libgtk-3-bin | grep Version
Version: 3.24.8-1ubuntu1

With the mismatch above, as compared to your list, I installed ubuntu 18.04 as a clean install, on another machine.

The good news is that it works! There were still gtK critical errors about -1 and many, many warnings. I'm sure you must see these if you run KLPMS from the command line.

Running your list again gives total agreement except a minor suffix:-

dpkg -s libgtk-3-bin | grep Version
Version: 3.22.30-1ubuntu4

Considering the above I'm pondering the implications for open source...

And understanding why your release that included all the required binaries didn't work on my 19.04 is an issue too.
Last edited by Angela on Sat 27 Jul, 2019 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.