Roast won't start with USB drive inserted.

Tell us about your experience, ask if you're unsure of something, let us know if you have a problem.
johnnyfive

Roast won't start with USB drive inserted.

Post by johnnyfive »

I noticed the roaster wouldn't start in a firestarter profile. It would make a slight engine noise and then restart itself. I then tried to start it in the classic profile and it did the same. I then upgraded the firmware to 7.3.9 and still the same behavior. Then I removed the USB drive and it roasted as normal. Anyone else reporting this? All my logs are zero kb in size and this board prevents them from being uploaded "File too large".
Angela

Re: Roast won't start with USB drive inserted.

Post by Angela »

Have you tried a different USB drive? Or take the one you have and format to FAT32 - not just wipe - but re-format.

Amusing to see ".... this board prevents them from being uploaded "File too large".

Chris had previously solved that one on the old server.
kaffelogic
Site Admin

Post by kaffelogic »

johnnyfive wrote: Wed 11 Sep, 2019 9:53 pm It would make a slight engine noise and then restart itself.
When the fan motor starts it draws the maximum current while it comes up to speed. Very occasionally this causes the microcontroller supply voltage to drop to a point where the microcontroller resets. On the rare occasion when this happens making a second attempt to start the roast works. In your case it looks as if the memory stick is getting into the game and taking some of the current. A memory stick should only draw micro current, so it looks like your memory stick could be faulty. Angela's suggestion is the best: try another memory stick. Let us know if that solves the problem.
johnnyfive

Post by johnnyfive »

Thanks for the advice. I re-formatted the old USB stick, but it didn't work.

Got a new 8GB one and formatted it to FAT32 and loaded the firestarter profile. This time it would not read the USB stick but it did let me start the roast. While roasting it kept trying to read the USB stick and no log was recorded.

Does the size of the USB stick matter?
kaffelogic
Site Admin

Post by kaffelogic »

Thanks for doing that trouble-shooting. The 8GB memory stick should work just fine. When the roaster leaves our factory the firmware is initially flashed from a memory stick. Typically we use a 32GB memory stick for that process. This verifies the USB circuitry is working. However, it does look as if the circuitry on your machine has developed a fault. I think we need to get it back for repair. We are currently getting all service jobs done back at the factory. Could you please contact me on [email protected] to arrange return?