New user looking for a Latte Profile

Tell us about your experience, ask if you're unsure of something, let us know if you have a problem.
Mark

New user looking for a Latte Profile

Post by Mark »

Just received my Nano 7 today.....so excited.
I'm reasonably new to home roasting...I've used my Behmor+ a few times....but decided the Nano was the way to go.

I wish to impress my wife and would like a profile recommendation for a latte....hoping this will confirm the logic of another roaster to her.

If I can make her a top notch Latte....then this may lessen the sarcasm ha ha!

All suggestions welcome.

Cheers Mark
kaffelogic
Site Admin

Re: New user looking for a Latte Profile

Post by kaffelogic »

Hi Mark

First a word of caution, whenever you get a new piece of coffee kit you may find it takes you a while before you are producing results you are happy with. Take the time to make sure you've got it nailed before you try to impress her!

Choice of profile depends on the style of beans you are roasting, and the style of roast you are aiming for. My go-to profile for impressing people when I don't know which beans we are going to be roasting is the Ninja profile. Other users will chime in with different recommendations, but I believe a good safe bet is a Yirgacheffe on Ninja 2.6.

This could be a good excuse for other users to tell us how they went about impressing their partners...
Mark

Post by Mark »

Thanks for your quick response......much appreciated.

The beans I'm using......Peru Ceja de Selva Estate - Organic certified at origin by Naturland this high grown coffee comes from an estate at the base of the Andes. From CoffeeSnobs.

I've just roasted 3 x 100g of the above using Firestarter, Ninga & Steady and Dark.

Looking forward to tasting tomorrow.

Cheers Mark
Sam

Post by Sam »

Hi Mark,

I'm also new to home roasting and sharing the little I've learnt so far. Much more to learn.

Firstly, there is a steep learning curve, be patient. So many variables to consider.

A single bean may be roasted using a number of different profiles and at bracketed levels for each profile. Resting time is also critical to how a bean will perform in the cup. Letting the coffee rest 3, 7, 10 days or longer will produce differing results.

Consider that single beans may not do well in a latte. Most coffees for milk are a blend of two or more beans. For example, Yirgacheffe roasted using Firestarter at 2.8 produces an excellent sweet espresso but is disappointing in a milk coffee.

I suggest selecting two beans that complement each other. Learn to roast each to your liking and then, try post-roast blending in differing ratios. Roasting beans for milk based coffee may be at a higher level of roast than for espresso.

Lastly, change one variable at a time, take detailed notes and enjoy the process.

Sam
Angela

Post by Angela »

Hi Mark,

My experience of latte is that the milk masks the taste from the coffee so you need quite a strong roast. I would experiment with the Steady and Dark profile and any old South America bean would do. You'll be roasting to get chocolate and caramel flavours which most beans will give you at higher roast levels - 4's and above.

I started there too. High roasts from supermarkets were what I had learned to like and making lattes seemed to soften their harshness.

Since having the Nano 7 I've explored around levels mid 2 to mid 3 mainly making Americanos and its a whole new experience. My friends rave more than I do about some of the stuff they drink but there again i think my taste buds are on the way out.

Don't roast too much back-to-back, in your early enthusiasm, otherwise you'll be drinking stuff past its use-by date. I had a nice Brazilian that took 10 days to reach a good mellow cup but then died quite rapidly. Other beans can peak much earlier; experimenting is the game.