Ninja 2nd in Golden Bean comp

Tell us about your experience, ask if you're unsure of something, let us know if you have a problem.
Mark

Ninja 2nd in Golden Bean comp

Post by Mark »

I entered the home roasting section of the Golden Bean comp.....and I got runner up in the espresso class....yahoo!

I just used the Ninja profile (2.6)......I would like to take ALL the credit ha ha!......but my only input was to load the beans and push a button......too easy!

Top score was 56....mine was 51....just pipping 3rd by 1 point.

Only scored 40 in the Filter class....the lowest was 39.....top was 60....so I need to work on that.

Scored 51 in the Latte class...top score was 70.

The comp bean was from CoffeeSnobs....Ethiopian Shakisso Estate.

So excited to continue my roast learning and looking forward to reviewing my score sheet!

Cheers Mark
kaffelogic
Site Admin

Re: Ninja 2nd in Golden Bean comp

Post by kaffelogic »

Mark wrote: Sun 24 Nov, 2019 1:44 pm I entered the home roasting section of the Golden Bean comp.....and I got runner up in the espresso class....yahoo!
Congratulations from all of us here at Kaffelogic! (perfectly happy for you to take all the credit ;) )
kaffelogic
Site Admin

Post by kaffelogic »

Steve

Post by Steve »

Post any judges comments when you get score sheets back and I will do the same.

The following profile was used for all my KL entries a modified FS of sorts. 70g in / 13.5% weight loss.
My scores were 49 espresso, 44 filter, 53 Milk.
CompFinal.jpg
CompFinal.jpg (44.43 KiB) Viewed 6229 times
CompFinal.klog
(58.12 KiB) Downloaded 291 times
The lower batch size coupled with a fast roast ends up with some darker flavours in the mix, but 9 point spread for an "all purpose roast" not too bad.

Currently working on some Slow Start Fast Finish filter roasts 100g load try and get something gentler, sweeter and cleaner. 90 to 100g seems to be the sweet spot for bean agitation and giving useable temp readings (aka the probe is always immersed in the beans) so that's what I will be sticking with into future.
Last edited by Steve on Tue 26 Nov, 2019 7:58 pm, edited 4 times in total.
BenN

Post by BenN »

Congratulations!

And following with greater interest :)
Ben
Mark

Post by Mark »

"Post any judges comments when you get score sheets back and I will do the same"

Will do Steve.

"The following profile was used for my KL entry, a modified FS of sorts"......can you share the profile Steve...so I can compare?

I used profiles with standard settings: 100g.

Espresso - Ninja. - score 51
Latte - Steady & Dark II. - score 51
Filter - 9to10min. - score 40

Cheers Mark
Steve

Post by Steve »

Here is the actual profile file, 2.5 for espresso and milk, 2.4 filter.
Basically just a slightly quicker ramp than FS.
FSmodCOMP.kpro
(1.85 KiB) Downloaded 289 times
Angela

Post by Angela »

Mark, excellent news. Well done.

I've persuaded 'Polly' to post the good news to a UK forum. A little proselytising won't go amiss if it brings in new users.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Received my score sheets, some useful feedback.

The common themes across all 3 categories were:
some upfront juicy fruity notes
reasonable sweetness and acidity but the cup was quickly thrown by some mild char tastes and a short astringent finish most likely from underdevelopment.

Pretty much inline with my notes over the past couple of months, these fast starting profiles are probably a bit too quick and rely on the extended finish (higher temps) / darkening of the outsides of beans to balance the less than optimal early on development, depending on what one is actually aiming for.

I am right now drinking a Silver Medal winner in the commercial filter Golden Bean category from Darks Coffee Roasters in Newcastle NSW. Bandar Jaya Sumatra, great example of a very well developed roast, not super light by any means but it has zero roasty taste, no signs of any underdevelopment related astringency, bucket loads of sweetness with vibrant clarity to the acidity and smooth rounded body. The aroma is pungent / uncanny just like fresh Turkish delight which I have never encountered in coffee before, anyway just a good example of the kind of roast I aspire to.

Anyway lots more work to do

Cheers
BenN

Post by BenN »

Thanks for shearing the note, Steve.
Ben