Kaldı Chaff Collector...

Tell us about your experience, ask if you're unsure of something, let us know if you have a problem.
Mark

Kaldı Chaff Collector...

Post by Mark »

Steve, I see you use a chaff collector.....would you recommend one?
I'm in central QLD and it gets rather warm here and this limits the time of day to roast.
Would using the Kaldi Chaff Collector allow me to roast indoors without setting off the smoke alarm?

Cheers Mark
Steve

Re: Kaldı Chaff Collector...

Post by Steve »

They are quite expensive for what they are but I do not regret getting it when I got my drum, I considered making my own system at the time. It is a very neat little unit and I have smashed it pretty hard as far as use goes around 300kg green, obviously with regular maintenance and its pretty easy to pull apart and clean.

I stick the exit vent in a sliding window and close it onto the vent to hold in place. The fan on the chaff collector is also for cooling 400g roast in about 3 mins so more power than you will need. I keep the dial on 5 when venting the Nano, its not linear but i guess about 2/3 of full power. This leaves me with no smoke anywhere.

Recently worked out i should just leave the chaff collector fan ON still venting the Nano after i empty a roast out and coupled with not switching the Nano off between roasts as suggested by Chris this is helping keep the machine from getting too hot.

I have a small piece of silicone tube cut length ways each piece sits on top of the black tube. These act as a seat for the jam / canning funnel. In the top of the canning funnel is a small piece of high temp 2 inch silicone semi rigid vent tube used in hi performance vehicles. The 2 inch chaff collecter flexible aluminum (not quite up to spec for roasting heat) for Kaldi roaster pushes into the silicone tube snug but is also easy to remove. Or you can push aluminium vent straight into canning funnel and tape it on with some heat resistant tape. I tried to find correct sizes to make it so i could use hose clamp but no such luck!
Mark

Post by Mark »

They are quite expensive Steve. I don't really need the cooling function as such....more the smoke/fume extraction to allow me to roast inside.

Maybe something like these is all I need?

https://www.fansonline.com.au/exhaust-f ... -fans.html

Cheers Mark
Steve

Post by Steve »

I am not sure Mark, they might be overkill?
Have a closer look at the Kaldi fan (gmarket link) its a hamster wheel style and I guess would also be classified as centrifugal but it is driven by a motor underneath in separate housing. This means the wheel part can be taken out for cleaning etc as you get a build up of coffee dust and oils.

They used to sell a cheaper / smaller chaff collector with no cooling function but I do not see it advertised on Gmarket anymore. If you email them on the Gmail address and ask them about the Chaff Only collector they may still have some or get you one. I recently order parts from them for my roaster "Classic" which they no longer make but were quite good to deal with and sourced what i needed and sent EMS here in 2 days.

http://item2.gmarket.co.kr/English/deta ... =852826832
Angela

Post by Angela »

Excuse me guys but isn't the obvious solution to install a cooker hood in the kitchen over your hob? Then you can extract everything that makes a pong when hot to the outside.