Decaf profile

Tell us about your experience, ask if you're unsure of something, let us know if you have a problem.
Justine

Decaf profile

Post by Justine »

What profile would you recommend for decaf beans?

Many thanks, Justine
kaffelogic
Site Admin

Re: Decaf profile

Post by kaffelogic »

Hi Justine

We have always treated decaf same as any other beans when it comes to profile selection. Apart from the fact that you need to weigh them because they are not the same density as typical beans, there is no need to treat them differently in a Kaffelogic machine. The roast control software adjusts and adapts to the differing behaviour of the decaf beans keeping them on the profile you have chosen. Personally we have roasted them very successfully on both default and Ninja profiles. It depends what style you are going for.

That is not to say that you can't improve on those profiles and create a profile that is tuned to maximise the potential of your decaf beans. It's just that we haven't done that yet. We hope that if and when someone does that they will post the resulting profile to this forum for you to try.
Noob

Re: Decaf profile

Post by Noob »

I've had great success with 120g of decaf beans roasted on both Default and Firestarter to level 4.2
Someone told me you have to roast decaf much darker than normal and I'd agree. Both these roasts tasted great through the espresso machine. The Firestarter roast we drank immediately, it was pretty gassy but still tasted great.