Kaffelogic Studio 6.0.8 not recognizing USB media on Ubuntu

Tell us about your experience, ask if you're unsure of something, let us know if you have a problem.
passuf

Kaffelogic Studio 6.0.8 not recognizing USB media on Ubuntu

Post by passuf »

I updated the snap to version 6.0.8 and since then Kaffelogic Studio does not recognize my USB stick anymore.

When running the snap from the terminal, I can spot the following error:

Code: Select all

df: cannot read table of mounted file systems: Permission denied
According to https://forum.snapcraft.io/t/df-cannot- ... nied/31351, this indicates that the snap plugin mount-observe might be missing. To confirm this, I re-installed the snap with in dev mode (to bypass the security restrictions):

Code: Select all

sudo snap install kaffelogic-studio --devmode
and now Kaffelogic Studio detects my USB stick.

Could you add the missing snap plugin, so we do not have to bypass security restrictions?

Thanks a lot for all your great work!

ps. more than happy to beta test future releases on Ubuntu :)
kaffelogic
Site Admin

Re: Kaffelogic Studio 6.0.8 not recognizing USB media on Ubuntu

Post by kaffelogic »

Hi passuf,

Thanks for the offer to beta test. That is appreciated.

I have followed your advice and built a beta version with mount-observe. However, I am doubtful that mount-observe is needed. Another user has reported that re-running the post-install script was sufficient to get it working again, but then again everyone is using a different flavour of Linux and they do all taste different.

Please install from the beta channel and see if you can get away with not using developer mode.

By the way, I don't think there is anything wrong with using developer mode to run the snap. It makes life simpler and does not expose you to any security risks that you weren't exposed to using earlier methods for installing software. However, let's try to get it working 'properly' if we can.

Cheers
Chris
kralovic

Post by kralovic »

Adding another datapoint: I got the same problem, and installing from beta channel did not help. I had to use developer mode to activate my boost kit. On the bright side, using developer mode worked well for me.
kaffelogic
Site Admin

Post by kaffelogic »

AFAIK the Kaffelogic post-install script does everything that the snap documentation requires, and it works on my test environment. If it doesn't work for you, and yet devmode does work for you, then all I can say is: "use what works." After all, when it comes to coffee we always say: "do what tastes good."
Belegnole

Post by Belegnole »

I too had an issue with in my case Lubunu seeing the KL Roaster. My roaster is one of the new U.S. models with the usb-c cord. As I am a linux newb I was quite confused when my brand new linux installation did't' see the roaster, but did see everything else I plugged into it. I tried everything listed here and a couple of other things using snap before finding a solution for my case. I am posting this here, just in case someone else can be help by what I found.

Maker sure you are actually in the dialout user group. I wasn't, and after adding myself and doing the log out/ log in routine my roaster was found and synced without issue.
Sceptic

Post by Sceptic »

The snap needs to have "- mount-observe" added to its list of plugs on the kaffelogic-studio app in meta/snap.yaml, and you'll probably need to add "snap connect kaffelogic-studio:mount-observe" to the Ubuntu post-install script.

Edit: It looks like it's fixed in the beta channel, but the non-beta channel still has a snap that won't detect usb sticks.