Colombia Melky Chevaz - What works for you?

Tell us about your experience, ask if you're unsure of something, let us know if you have a problem.
Beanz

Re: Colombia Melky Chevaz - What works for you?

Post by Beanz »

Day 6 and Steves 8Min, at RL3.0, I'm finding an improvement over the Firestarter but still too light, fruity and very slightly astringent. I'm keen to try the 9Min now.
Appreciate the comments and input Steve and Chris.

I'm surprised at the variation in bean size between the varieties. Have just got some Sumatra - Mandheling and it is quite a bit bigger bean than this Melky Chevaz and will clearly need a different profile again. Not sure whether there is an industry standard grading for bean size? Along with Colour grading?

To get better consistency with my dialing in I'm now just putting 18gm of bean into the hopper of my Sette 270Wi and treating it more like a Niche Zero. This due to inconsistencies in ground weights and the variation in grind settings needed according to age of bean and how long exposed to air in the hopper

My wife is loving the 8Min in her latte with a spot of honey! So.….we're half way there!
Does the 9Min narrow the gap between Firestarter and K-logic classic?

I have Ver 7.4.4. firmware and the voltage is circa 230v. Nano shows 228 in one of the roasts.
Am looking forward to the posting of Tried and True profiles matched to beans.
Attachments
log0013.klog
(76.89 KiB) Downloaded 244 times
Steve

Post by Steve »

Still early on the 9 min but I think its "overall development" may be slightly better than the 8 min.
But the finish on 9min a touch quick, so I will be playing around with the entire second half to get a slightly shallower gradient / longer MAI.
Its got some good clean caramel milk choc flavours without any ashy roasty notes though.

So the 8 min is likely the borderline quickest roast for this profile style / Fan profile and the ideal roast for any particular bean / desired taste might be 9 to 11 mins.
Beanz

Post by Beanz »

Steve, I'm just starting to use the Steve's 9Min Profile now and finding it much more suitable than the 8Min. Fuller bodied, chocolatey and richer flavoured. Getting much closer now!
You've boosted the preheat power to 920 from 900 and the roast goes on for over a minute longer. What surprised me was that the Roast Level was set, as recommended to 4.4, as opposed to the 8Min set for RL3.0, yet it came out medium... On the other hand the Yirgacheffe 2 Wenago, on K-logic classic, at default level 3.3 came out a much darker roast.
Steves 9Min.jpg
Steves 9Min.jpg (103.91 KiB) Viewed 3753 times
I hope others can both feedback on this profile of yours and submit what Profile and Roast Level works for them with this bean.
Thank you again for the wonderful work you do
Steve

Post by Steve »

Hi Beanz,

looks like you ran out of power where it flatlined at the end / dropped off profile. That 9 min profile was still in development, it was too quick at the end, hence too much power needed to keep on profile.

These are the current profiles I am using which are working well and staying under 1400W (240V needed). If your power is a bit on the low side the BalanceV2 profile should work. It will develop a bit more complexity while keeping the roast somewhat med - light depending how far you take it, it can go dark into L 4s if needed.

DarkSide at L4.8 should give you good chocolate flavours while retaining some acidity and not hitting 2nd crack.

Light side will likely require 1450W (242V) to complete unless the following pre washing process is used.
BalanceV2.kpro
(2.3 KiB) Downloaded 256 times
DarkSide.kpro
(2.41 KiB) Downloaded 252 times
LightSide.kpro
(2.15 KiB) Downloaded 255 times
I was going to post this in a new thread but I will just drop it here. My early cupping suggests this is definitely a worthwhile process and I will likely do it for all my KL roasts from now on.
http://christopherferan.com/2020/02/18/ ... o-a-sauna/

My observations, the roast develops better / slightly quicker for a given profile using LESS power which is a bonus. In the rehydrated roasts I am getting Improved aromatics, sweetness and acidity "Pop", a lasting pleasing sensation with a clean finish and just all round better developed roast which really holds together from hot to cool cup.

I did not do anything fancy:
weigh out 200g
rinse in cool filtered water
drain in sieve
spread out on clean tea towel and pat dry
seal in plastic tupperware with minimal headspace but enough to be able to mix beans periodically without opening the container.
This was done overnight / 12 hours prior to roasting.
2 X 100g batches were now 103.3g
Plus 2 X 100g same bean / profile / not rehydrated and cupped them all together blind.
Beanz

Post by Beanz »

Just a headsup Steve. First off, huge appreciation for your last post here. I have downloaded the profiles and keen to try the Balance V2 next. I've gone AWOL from the theme of this thread to have commercial roasted and work my way back to this. [I was losing the faith and just needed a standard good roast to check my taste buds!!!]

Am finding I need to roast 300gm [100gm x 3] per session so that I have enough to try over a number of days to see the difference post rest. Chris pointed out, correctly, that I have been trying to roasts too fresh.
This is because I have been putting them straight in ATMOS containers which have serious vacuum. The beans are keeping too fresh! :geek: :ugeek: Since that revelation, I am finding that I am resting the beans longer eg 12 hours minimum in open air. Then just placing in the ATMOS or resealable coffee bag [courtesy BenR} without applying vacuum.

When I feel the taste has aged enough - usually about 4 days - I then apply vacuum to retain that level of freshness. I don't know whether others agree? All a learning curve.

So whereas I was finding the taste too bright with some roast profiles, it is quite likely I wasn't letting the roast age enough.
My voltage is circa 230V, so will try both your Brazil.Kpro profile, from another thread....and recommended by Chris, (with some Brazil Cerrado), and the BalanceV2 with the next lot of Melky. Thankyou

Finally, thank you for the tip re pre-washing beans....intriguing. :D