Steady and Dark

Start a new topic for a new roast profile. Reply to an existing topic to enter your comments on the profile, or to attach minor variants.
kaffelogic
Site Admin

Steady and Dark

Post by kaffelogic »

For dark roasts only. Designed to delay first crack until 12 mins, requiring level 4.8 to 5.9 to fully develop the roast.
Steady and Dark.kpro
(1.89 KiB) Downloaded 721 times
Rehtael

Re: Steady and Dark

Post by Rehtael »

Found a decent roast @ 4.8 with this profile and Brazil Organic Green Beans....
Noob

Post by Noob »

I concur, this was a good roast @ 4.8 for espresso! I used Guatemalan beans and they tasted awesome! Thanks for this :-)
walter

Post by walter »

Beautiful roast @L4.8 for Brazil Organic Green Beans. I like the way the flavour in the beans develop with this flatter profile. With the default profile it's very easy for the flavour to be dominated with burnt overtones approaching L4 when trying to get balanced flavour in espresso roasts. Thanks!
kaffelogic
Site Admin

Post by kaffelogic »

I have made some tweaks to a couple of profile settings. Roast required power is now set at 1275 Watts. This means the low voltage warning is less likely to appear unnecessarily. Cool down high speed is now set at 16000 RPM. This reduces the number of beans getting into the chaff. So here is Steady and Dark II.
Steady and Dark II.kpro
(1.97 KiB) Downloaded 675 times
Angela

Post by Angela »

What's the reason for the odd fan profile in Firestarter I & II? All others are parallel to the x-axis at the end.
kaffelogic
Site Admin

Post by kaffelogic »

If the time taken goes beyond the last defined point of a curve, the control system will extrapolate from the last defined point. In the case of a roast temperature curve this means effectively a constant rate of rise taken from the last defined point. In the case of a fan curve the safest practice is to tweak the curve so that it is flat (parallel to the x-axis) at the very end. This removes any risk of slowing the fan too much. However it can also be left continuing to decrease as in Firestarter/Steady and Dark. The beans are continuing to lose moisture and therefore weight throughout, so continuing to decrease the fan speed is appropriate, so long as it is in balance with the weight loss. A further option is to put a defined point at the 20 minute mark therefore ensuring the system never needs to extrapolate.

In the fan profiles that I have developed the fan curve goes parallel to the x-axis at the last defined point. In the fan profile curve drawn by Rob Hoos there is continuing reduction in speed. At this time we don't have a lot of data about how these differences actually affect flavour.
Angela

Post by Angela »

'We're experimenting and the jury is out' about summarises it then. ;)
Last edited by Angela on Sat 17 Aug, 2019 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kaffelogic
Site Admin

Post by kaffelogic »

Not just out, out for a coffee
Damian

Post by Damian »

This profile worked well for me, a little darker than I like at 4.8, but I really liked it. I think I will try it a 4.0 next.