High pitch noise, sounds like it's about to explode!

Tell us about your experience, ask if you're unsure of something, let us know if you have a problem.
lukehk

High pitch noise, sounds like it's about to explode!

Post by lukehk »

Hi Guys,
This is the sound I get throughout the roast now. It gets a lot better in the cool down cycle. I think it started a few roasts ago on Raost V5 but I've had it on other I think too. The log looks ok but I am obviously worried something will go soon and it could be dangerous. Any advice apart from don't use it?
Attachments
20230611_205504.mp4
(8.84 MiB) Downloaded 325 times
Geronimo

Re: High pitch noise, sounds like it's about to explode!

Post by Geronimo »

Hi

If you remove the chaff collector and no beans and turn on does it make the same sound?

Press the play and then the minus button to stop the test.

Cheers
G
fnq

Post by fnq »

Hi Luke

I was just about to contact support about the almost identical issue ( i did a vid that soundds exactly the same. In my instance it has coincided with the boost upgrade and activation ( with glass chaff catcher)

I tried with and without catcher ( turbo prop whistle still there but can vary in pitch) but seems to go away in cool down mode the same as yours.

I cleaned the unit as best i could .... it has over 200 hours up and I though maybe some build up partially blocking an airway....... but problem still exists.

Problem is decibels way too high .... neighbours asking if i am using a power saw to cut wood..

Hopefully a solution can be had . I will contact support to let them know.
lukehk

Post by lukehk »

Ok so I started a roast with no beans and there was a slight noise. I stopped it after a few seconds. I did a roast and it was clearly there from the start but got louder and louder until the cooling cycle when it does. No noise when just testing fan speed.
lukehk

Post by lukehk »

I forgot to add when you put your ear to it the sound is much greater near the cable at the back not up by the glass chaff collector
Rorouni

Post by Rorouni »

The same thing happens to my machine. The higher the RPM, the more noise. A very high-pitched noise, especially in the cooling cycle.

Until reading this, I thought it was because the calibration had gone up a bit or because of the number of hours on the engine. 123 hours

I will be waiting for any answer
Geronimo

Post by Geronimo »

Hi everyone

Has there been feedback from support on this noise, as I have just done 4 roasts with the new chaff collector/boost. I've got the same high pitch noise, and as live in a block of units is not tolerable by the neighbors.

I'm a bit underwhelmed by the chaff collector and boost combination. Its like it hasn't been tested properly. The excess beans in the collector shouldn't be happening, with 6 percent of 160 gram roast in the top, and these don't cool properly, and risky putting back in to the mix. Isolating them is not that easy with chaff going all over the place when there is a little bit of wind. I would have liked for the chaff collector to be a little higher (and larger actual cyclonic collector ideally), and sure this optimal height could be determined by testing different weight and sized beans, in relation to the optimal cooling. Interestingly how much longer the cooling takes. I thought about 4 minutes maximum was optimal, but now into 5+ minutes. I don't know if it makes a difference to the taste. Time will tell.

The resulting profiles are much more choppy, be it the roast, power or RoR profile, this is compared prior to the new chaff collector and boost. There is the odd occasion the roast goes way off curve and doesn't correct in a timely fashion.

I had to empty the chaff collector after each roast, to clear the chaff and beans. Previously with old collector could roast 3 to 4 roasts back to back without needing to empty.

I am aware that it has been recommended to change the cooling speed in the profile to reduce the overflow of beans, but did also read that it didn't work, but may have been corrected in the latest update. The global cooling has been removed in the calibration section, as that is what I was going to change, but probably not the ideal situation as some beans may need a higher fan speed than others.

I'm sure some of this will get ironed out in due course, but frustrating for something that should work out of the box.

Cheers
G
VladP

Post by VladP »

I am aware that it has been recommended to change the cooling speed in the profile to reduce the overflow of beans but did also read that it didn't work, but may have been corrected in the latest update. The global cooling has been removed in the calibration section, as that is what I was going to change, but probably not the ideal situation as some beans may need a higher fan speed than others.
This does not work, despite the promising announcement and the release notes of the software/firmware.
In my case: the hi/lo cooling fan speed is programmed at 17.000 / 16.000, however the cooling speed is a constant 15.500...
Disappointing, as well as the fact that KL is not reacting to this addressed point.
Geronimo

Post by Geronimo »

VladP wrote: Thu 22 Jun, 2023 8:39 pm

This does not work, despite the promising announcement and the release notes of the software/firmware.
In my case: the hi/lo cooling fan speed is programmed at 17.000 / 16.000, however the cooling speed is a constant 15.500...
Disappointing, as well as the fact that KL is not reacting to this addressed point.
Hi

Thanks for prompt reply.

Chris Hilder who designed the roaster and software used to very responsive with respect to software and other issues. You couldn’t fault his support. I’m wondering if he has stepped back a bit and others are solely handling software coding and hardware issues.

Cheers
G
lukehk

Post by lukehk »

I'm currently traveling and did not put the issue directly to KL for support. I'll have to do that when I get back in a couple of weeks. I did do a number of roasts after my initial post and the issue continues. Was hoping someone from KL would chime in here but I guess it's not regularly monitored. I can relate to comments about logs changing after the new chaff collector and boost. Raost V5 worked perfectly on 80g before but now always needs some adjustment. Usually a negative boost around FC.