Discolouration in roasting chamber

Tell us about your experience, ask if you're unsure of something, let us know if you have a problem.
Sam

Discolouration in roasting chamber

Post by Sam »

Hi Chris,

I have some discolouration in the roasting chamber in the side wall near some of the vents. Is this to be expected?

Should I attempt a clean of the chamber? If so, what would you recommend so as to avoid damaging the temperature probe.

Thanks,

Sam

PS: I will try to upload a photo.
kaffelogic
Site Admin

Re: Discolouration in roasting chamber

Post by kaffelogic »

Hi Sam, yes this is to be expected. If you regularly roast into second crack (roughly level 3.0 and above) there will be some discolouration. This will usually be predominantly on one side because the hottest air enters the chamber on one side only. We do not recommend cleaning. As a general rule the beans do not pick up coffee oils from the walls of the roast chamber. If you do notice an adverse effect on flavour, or simply want to retain the appearance of the roast chamber, then when you clean you must avoid bending the thermocouple probe back and forth. In fact you should try to avoid touching it at all. We recommend using a non-caustic cleaner (see the instruction manual for some brand names) on a cloth. Wrap the cloth around a chop stick so you can get in to do the cleaning without brushing against the end of the temperature probe. There is no need to be paranoid about it because the probes are tough, but it is worth being as careful as you can because they are reasonably difficult to replace.
- Chris
Sam

Post by Sam »

Thanks Chris.

Good to know. I will put it down to "seasoning" and leave well enough alone.

Sam
bobweis

Post by bobweis »

Me too